Help on caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to disagree with the statement that the 28 nosler is a "poor choice for anyone with one rifle". They are inherently accurate thanks to the case and it's proven all the time. They also have the power to drop anything in North America which is proven every day during hunting season. IMO, if you could only have one rifle up here in Idaho, it would be either a 300rum or 28 nosler. Curious, why do you think it's a poor choice?
as stated earlier, you just cannot shoot it much. Deal killer for anyone with just one rifle. It is an excellent choice in a LR rifle if you also have others to practice and play with. This could also be said of a 300 rum, but to a slightly lessor degree, and it is my favorite lr rifle.

I've shot the 28 and 30 Noslers both with brakes, the 30 had a " beast" and the 28 had a snowy mtn. brake I couldn't tell the difference.

I have to disagree with choosing ballistic charts over grandpas opinion, considering grandpa probably has a ton of life experience. Charts are great, but a chart telling me a .204 for elk is acceptable would lose credibility.
What? A chart wouldn't tell you a 204 is acceptable... that's exactly the point...Good Lord.

as stated earlier, you just cannot shoot it much. Deal killer for anyone with just one rifle. It is an excellent choice in a LR rifle if you also have others to practice and play with. This could also be said of a 300 rum, but to a slightly lessor degree, and it is my favorite lr rifle.
It depends on how much you shoot. 100 rounds for break in and load testing, and a 100 a year after that gives you at least 8 years with the rifle if you aren't heating it up with long strings.

300PRC for the W? Can we all meet in the middle right there? Shoot those Purdy 230s with good barrel life?? Anyone...? Thoughts...?

It depends on how much you shoot. 100 rounds for break in and load testing, and a 100 a year after that gives you at least 8 years with the rifle if you aren't heating it up with long strings.
Exactly. That is enough to get "used" to that rifle, and dope. Not enough practice IMO to maintain proficiency in LR shooting. And if not shooting really far, what is the point? Thats why I said 280AI, 7RM, 300WM, and maybe 338WM. All these are much more balanced cartridges. If the Op really wants to practice and shoot alot, the order of that list stands. If he wants more power for lr the 300 tops the list. If ge wants a hammer at normal hunting ranges the 338 is tops. All of those will get the job done and can be shot often all year long. My list would be very different if he had other rifles.

OD, I am of the belief that shooting experience caries over from rifle to rifle. In 100 rounds you can have a load and dope. From there, maintain a bit of proficiency with it (100 a year) and you're good to go. I have a 30-8mag (30stw) that has over 600 rounds thru it. I bring it out of the safe once a year to check it at 500 or further and every year I hit my target. Not taking away from time with a rifle, just don't think it takes a lot

OD, I am of the belief that shooting experience caries over from rifle to rifle. In 100 rounds you can have a load and dope. From there, maintain a bit of proficiency with it (100 a year) and you're good to go. I have a 30-8mag (30stw) that has over 600 rounds thru it. I bring it out of the safe once a year to check it at 500 or further and every year I hit my target. Not taking away from time with a rifle, just don't think it takes a lot
We dont really disagree. Perfect example of this is last Saturday, we went out and shot all afternoon. During this time i shot my 28 only twice. A cold bore and follow up at 600. The rest of the time i was playing with another rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts