Help mounting scope

bstomper

Finally got my new vortex HST today and will be mounting it on my rifle. I installed a 20 MOA rail on the gun aleady an have the rings ready to go. I've never used a MOA rail befor so I assume when I go to sight the gun in I would adjust the elevation turret down 20 ish MOA for a starting point for the zero to start sighting in, correct

Steady ur rifle on bags, pull the bolt and look down the barrel at the target. Then dial ur cross hair to target... it's bore sighted for ur first shot

That's how I bore sight them, looking through the bore I try to center it at the top of the bull then move the crosshair to the center of the bull. But level your gun first when mounting your scope, then level your scope. This is to get your crosshairs as true as possible first. Good luck hunting and be safe.

I got my scope mounted and sighterd in but I'm going to have to get some lower rings as the medium ones I have are to high and I don't want to put a cheek riser on if I dont have to. I still might though because I don't think the drop from med height to low height is going to be enough. There is lots of room to lower the scope. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to put a cheek riser on a varmit thumbhole stock as a standard cheek riser won't work.
When I finaly got my windage dialed in, I noticed on the windage turret revolution numbers (for lack of a better term) that I am on revolution #3 out of six. Is this normal.
My initial thoughts were that It should have been on zero but then with it on the middle (3) I would have 3 revolution to the left and 3 to the right, which makes sence. I probably won't dial for windage anyway. Ill just use the reticle

There is a video on here in that section on scope mounting Done by military and using removeable bag,they run a wood filler if more hieght is needed,my cheek bag is ok

I had to change my bases one time from weaver to leapold bases with the scope rings attached to get my windage clicks close to even. There are other bases made that can move left to right to get the clicks even. Or you may be able to shim it closer also. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.