Hells Canyon Long Range X-Bolt

My Hells Canyon shot great (6.5 Creedmoor). I didn't like the factory stock and bough a McMillan Game Scout for it. Under MOA with Factory Hornady and Nosler Ammo. Guy I sold it to posted he's getting under .5 MOA with hand loads.

I just purchased another X-Bolt. I went with the X-Both "Max Long Range" model in 28 Nosler. I went with the Max Long range because of the stock it comes with. I installed the MCarbo Spring right away. Less than 5 minutes to complete. No info on accuracy. I haven't had a chance to site in yet. It cycles very, very smooth.

My Hells Canyon shot great (6.5 Creedmoor). I didn't like the factory stock and bough a McMillan Game Scout for it. Under MOA with Factory Hornady and Nosler Ammo. Guy I sold it to posted he's getting under .5 MOA with hand loads.

I just purchased another X-Bolt. I went with the X-Both "Max Long Range" model in 28 Nosler. I went with the Max Long range because of the stock it comes with. I installed the MCarbo Spring right away. Less than 5 minutes to complete. No info on accuracy. I haven't had a chance to site in yet. It cycles very, very smooth.

I'm the buyer of the above referenced rifle. I liked it enough I bought another x-bolt Hells Canyon in 6 creed. Still wearing its factory stock, adjusted the feather trigger, and first load tried with h4350 and berger 105 vld-h's and it shot in the 3's. Replicated twice more. I love them.

The results you are having by adding the suppressor make me thing that your rifle simply didn't like the harmonics of that particular load, adding the can has changed the barrel whip enough to make it shoot well.

I originally thought that however after getting the same random results for over 100 rounds with powder charges ranging from 52 to 58.5gr H4831 using the 124 Hammer, the same charges with the Lehigh 122 controlled chaos and with Factory 143gr ELD-X I'm inclined to believe it is more than simple barrel whip. Which is a shame as my dad's target eclipse in 6.5 Creedmoor shoots American gunner under 1/2 MOA and I was expecting this rifle to do the same.

On the flip side my 24" proof barrel has shot all of the same loads around 1/2 MOA and sometimes much smaller.

Love mine. Very accurate with hammers and also has Berger 215s shooting well but I like the hammers for hunting. Like others I put an mcarbo spring in it and it breaks clean at 2lbs. 5/8x24 threads on the barrel. Mag needed a bit of work but otherwise it's an awesome rifle.

Jzeman56 I am glad the dremel fixed your mag too. Cohunt you would have no issue with the 7mm because its shoulder is not as far ahead. These rifles arechambered in 300RUM so imagine it would need Dremeling as well. Just glad my advice has helped some one else.

I got one in Stalker Long Range 6.5 CM. Absolutely shoots lights out. Clover leaf at 200. Thinking about buying another in 7mm. Changed the trigger though. Had to replace trigger with a Timney.
What model Timney did you use?

Up until a couple months ago I would have wholeheartedly recommended them as my dad has 3 that are all smooth and all shoot well. However a couple months ago my dad got a X-Bolt Pro LR in 6.5 PRC and the thing has been anything but accurate. After wasting a box of Hammers trying to do load development I bought a box of factory ammo to find out it shot a 4+ inch 10 shot group.

So I sent it back to the factory and after having them look it over I just got it back this week with a target showing a 0.55" group at 50 yards and saying it was within their 0.75" spec. My range trip today showed that it still shoots terrible with 2" plus 5 shot groups unless I put my suppressor on it at which point it suddenly becomes a sub 1/2 MOA rifle with the exact same ammo.

So while most people including myself have had positive results just keep in mind that if the accuracy of that particular rifle is not up to your standards then you may be SOL.
Hey I have the X bolt Max Long range . Its a horrible shooter 3-5 MOA groups. But you say putting a can on it made it shoot 1/2 MOA ? So does that mean the harmonics of the rifle are off ,and the can tuned them in ? Mine is at the gun Smith's now being evaluated ,he thinks its the bedding,he's gonna check the crown and maybe the action needs truing ?

Hello All,

So I got the chance to test it again yesterday and I figured I'd provide an update. I took it out of the factory carbon stock and put it in a factory laminate stock. The thumb hole stock came off a target eclipse rifle that consistently shot 1/2 MOA groups with Hornady 140gr AG 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. The below on the red target shows what that 6.5 Creedmoor is capable of in an unbedded McMillan stock so I know that when done correctly the X-Bolts can shoot well.
5E8CC21C-8D54-4687-9DC2-D0767EA9CD82.jpeg

Based on yesterday's results it appears the original target I posted with the PRC was a fluke as a 10 shot group revealed that it is just as inaccurate with the suppressor as it is with the muzzle break. The stock helped a bit and the rifle now groups around 1.5 MOA so it's better than the 2.5 MOA it was in the factory carbon stock but it is still not acceptable for an $1800 rifle billed as a premium factory rifle ready for long range hunting.

This is what has been so frustrating about this from the beginning as it can print good 3 shot groups they just are not in the same place. As you can see below you can individually pick out some pretty good sub MOA 3 shot groups however when added together those groups all fall somewhere within that 1.5 to 2 MOA circle. It is apparent that the severity of the issue isn't realized until a larger group size is utilized, otherwise it simply seems like a wandering zero issue or a pulled shot.

Here is with the factory muzzle break
68EF6292-9B78-4B51-BC90-DB89FB065C91.jpeg

And here is with the suppressor
218D9A6F-8CE8-41AA-8D2F-D87D72BD1F35.jpeg

I just got off the phone with a Browning tech . They shoot at 50yds and if a quarter covers a 3 shot group they call it good. Also said typical problems are Bedding ,barrel crown and barrel scrub. I'm won't be buying any Browning or a Christensen Arms rifles

I just got off the phone with a Browning tech . They shoot at 50yds and if a quarter covers a 3 shot group they call it good. Also said typical problems are Bedding ,barrel crown and barrel scrub. I'm won't be buying any Browning or a Christensen Arms rifles

So how did they explain your 3-5 MOA groups? Did they mention reloads or anything about sending you rifle back in?

I have read horror stores about most any make. Unfortunately, QA is not 100%
for most companies. Both my X-Bolts are outstanding shooters... sub half inch rifles with my handloads.

I think I simply said it shoots really bad. He said typically the problem is in the bedding,crown and need a good bore scrubbing.I mentioned hand loads,they said "Of course we shoot factory" I've got about 70 rounds thru after 3 range sessions. I cleaned it very well both carbon and copper after each session . My gunsmith thinks problem is in the bedding,its at his shop now. now the browning tech was gonna give me a shipping label over the phone. But also said won't test fire with any aftermarket parts including new trigger spring I installed. They'd remove that and install factory spring and charge me for it. I really regret not doing additional research on this rifle before purchase .

I have one in 6.5 Creed and it's a very nice gun. No issues at all with anything but the heavy trigger. It was BAD, like 7 lbs, I'm guessing. An MCARBO spring brought it down to bad, like 5lbs it felt like.
I was able to get tight groups with i but I had to really try. Then the Timney went on sale at midway and I saved 50 bucks. It's very light now!

Had to dremel out for the pin on the bottom of the assembly but it works great once adjusted for light but safe pull. You do lose the bolt lock feature tho.

Anyways I reccomend it. It handles slick for a gun of that length with heavier barrel and it light enough to pack well but settles on target really nice.
I'm toying with getting another in a heavier caliber for elk if I sell my 6.5-300.

I have one in 6.5 Creed and it's a very nice gun. No issues at all with anything but the heavy trigger. It was BAD, like 7 lbs, I'm guessing. An MCARBO spring brought it down to bad, like 5lbs it felt like.
I was able to get tight groups with i but I had to really try. Then the Timney went on sale at midway and I saved 50 bucks. It's very light now!

Had to dremel out for the pin on the bottom of the assembly but it works great once adjusted for light but safe pull. You do lose the bolt lock feature tho.

Anyways I reccomend it. It handles slick for a gun of that length with heavier barrel and it light enough to pack well but settles on target really nice.
I'm toying with getting another in a heavier caliber for elk if I sell my 6.5-300.
Your not happy with your 6.5-300 ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.