Hello from the UK!

Dr Strangelove

Good afternoon all,

Thanks for accepting me! I've been shooting on and off for about twelve years now. Mainly targets but have done a bit of hunting and that's something I'd like to get into more!

I thought I'd join the site as I've just picked up an Interarms Mark X barreled action for the equivalent of $35! It's got a shot-out .308 barrel on it and I'm trying to decide what to have it rebarreled to.

I've currently got CF rifles in .308, 7.5x55, 7x57 and will have one in .280 British in the not too distant future. I handload do something niche wouldn't be out of the question!

I'm thinking something for longer range target shooting would compliment what I have currently. Longer range hunting might be on the cards for it but that would certainly be a secondary feature.

Anyway, thanks again and I look forward to utilising the wealth of information and knowledge the forum has to offer!

Kind regards,

Dr. Strangelove

Good afternoon all,

Thanks for accepting me! I've been shooting on and off for about twelve years now. Mainly targets but have done a bit of hunting and that's something I'd like to get into more!

I thought I'd join the site as I've just picked up an Interarms Mark X barreled action for the equivalent of $35! It's got a shot-out .308 barrel on it and I'm trying to decide what to have it rebarreled to.

I've currently got CF rifles in .308, 7.5x55, 7x57 and will have one in .280 British in the not too distant future. I handload do something niche wouldn't be out of the question!

I'm thinking something for longer range target shooting would compliment what I have currently. Longer range hunting might be on the cards for it but that would certainly be a secondary feature.

Anyway, thanks again and I look forward to utilising the wealth of information and knowledge the forum has to offer!

Kind regards,

Dr. Strangelove
Greetings from the Big Sky Country! Welcome to LRH and enjoy it.

I was stationed in RAF Lakenheath from 2000-2003 and enjoyed traveling all over the UK and EU meeting good folks.

Ed

Good afternoon all,

Kind regards,

Dr. Strangelove
Welcome to the forum from Tennessee

Welcome to the forum! Good to have someone who can bring some different ideas to what we do.

If you don't mind would you please tell us what you have to do to own a firearm in England.

I have recently become an F1 fan. I'm learning that F1 is truly a British sport. The recent British Grand Prix brought something like 140,000 fans to the track for the race.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Good to have someone who can bring some different ideas to what we do.

If you don't mind would you please tell us what you have to do to own a firearm in England.

I have recently become an F1 fan. I'm learning that F1 is truly a British sport. The recent British Grand Prix brought something like 140,000 fans to the track for the race.

Thanks for the welcome!

I don't mind at all - always interesting to discuss this sort of thing.

So, in order to own a firearm, you must have 'good reason'/'justification' to have what you want.

We break firearms down into three main categories; Section 1, Section 2 and Section 5 (don't know what happened to 3 & 4!).

Most bolt action rifles with a greater than 12" barrel and 24" OAL are S1. We can also own semi-auto .22RFs under S1. Also shotguns with a greater capacity are S1. Pistols are allowed if they are black/nitro powder and or are a long barrel revolver complying with barrel length and OAL as stated above.

Section 2 covers shotguns with up to a 2+1 capacity or side-by-side / over/unders.

Section 5 is the fun stuff! Centrefire pistols, semi-auto centrefire rifles and most other things.

For S1, you can either go down the target shooting or hunting/pest control route. Target shooting involves joining a Govt approved rifle club and becoming a full member. Hunting would normally be deer stalking although could be vermin (foxes etc). That's a bit harder to define but can normally be justified by taking a hunting course.

Being a farmer is enough justification to own a S2 shotgun - pest control etc.

Section 5 is trickier. I know a private individual who got a licence for machine guns recently specifically for research into WW1 MGs - very cool! Normally restricted for business use (buying/selling) and or manufacturing.

Once your justification is deemed sound, you get granted a Firearms Certificate (FAC) or Shotgun Certificate (SGC) with the ability to purchase specific rifles and ammunition as permitted on your FAC and basically any S2 shotgun with a SGC.

Interestingly, it's pretty easy for us to get a moderator over here! If I wanted a new one, I could justify having one due to health and safety reasons when shooting (as in, reducing hearing damage). It would cost me £20 ($28) to get my FAC varied and that could take as little as a week! I could then buy a fairly decent moderator for ~$100.

Hope that's easy enough to decipher!

Welcome from Central Arizona! Glad to have a different perspective. I certainly would look at cartridges/components that are readily available and figure out which is more intriguing to your distance. You can always modify larger volume brass to shoot traditional bullets. The 6.5 mm is making a lot of people happy here. I use 7mm currently. Just start researching.
Good luck!