Hello from North Idaho! 340wby/ h1000 loads???

Guess an introduction should've been in order... I'm relatively new to the prospect of reaching out to distances much past 500yds but I'm fairly confident my accidentally stumbled upon 340wby and recently acquired 8 lb can of H1000 powder have the potential to reach out much further, however finding relevant data for this powder pairing has proven difficult, as the 340 seems to have fallen out of vogue with the recent popularity of the 338 LM. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JJ, welcome to the forum. To the contrary, there are a good number of 340 Wby shooters here. For an accurate reply, which bullet and weight are you loading? I used the 225gr Nosler Partition with H1000 starting at load manual low end and working up for 340Wby. This load is used in heavy trees on elk and mule deer, not over 100 - 200 yards. Good luck

Dosh, I was planning on either the 225 or 250 Barnes tsx/ttsx. I've shot factory ammo in the 225 tsx very accurately to 500 yds including a 425yd elk that didn't even have time to feel bad. I have had trouble finding good info on the 340 running h1000 powder. The other 338s have a wealth of info but this powder pairing info is lacking.

For an accurate reply, which bullet and weight are you loading? I used the 225gr Nosler Partition with H1000 starting at load manual low end and working up for 340Wby. This load is used in heavy trees on elk and mule deer, not over 100 - 200 yards.

Ibug, what????

JJ, I started with 81gr and worked up by .5 if I recall. This was a few years ago in my friends 340Wby. He drew a third choice elk tag in a unit with trees on 2 foot centers and had some 225 partitions. Perhaps for longer range a bit heavier bullet could be an advantage especially with H1000, but you seem to do well with the Barnes 225 factory ammo. Pretty sure you would need to try Norma powders to attempt to duplicate the factory loads since Norma produces the Wby ammo. Also try the Weatherby forum for more possible loads. Good luck

Ibug, what???

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.