Hello from Idaho

DanaC

Hello from South Central Idaho! I am new to the forum and new to dedicated long range shooting. While I have hunted and enjoyed punching paper for a long time, I have for the most part given up on big game and will mostly shoot holes in targets and varmits or preditors. The challenge of shooting out a ways successfully has
been in the back of my mind for a decade or more and I decided to take the challenge seriously and have some fun. I recently retired or at least semi retired to I can indulge my self.
I currently have a Ruger #1 in 218 Mashburn Bee, a 7x57 Ackley and a Browning A Bolt Meddallion in 223 and another in 270 WSM on the way.

Welcome and enjoy this is a great site
but its very addictive.
Lots from Idaho here
Im in star
what part you in?
why did you give up on the big game?
retiredcpo

I moved here in 2005, working for Citi Bank in their mortgage division. After they shut down along with most of the industry, I ended up working for Dell, which shut down as well. I ended up selling all but one of my 30 rifles, lost my house etc.

As for big game hunting, I just don't have anyone to go with and frankly I was sort of new to it. I have hunted deer and elk but never successfully, but have always dreamed of doing it. I have hunted preditors and varmits however. Now that I am semi retired here in Buhl, I have the time but not a lot of money. Having said that, I don't have any bills other than rent, cable etc. so I plan to shoot and fly fish.

Isn't Star way up north in the panhandle?

Dana
nope star is just outside of boise.
I have not done much in the buhl area but passed through alot
Looks like some good rock chuck country
I shoot at the parma rod and gun club allmost every week and
untill the snow clears and I can get up to the rock chucks
We should set up a gettogether and shoot some
retiredcpo

That sounds like a ton of fun. You may know Rich Kayser who I think shoots there as well. I think he lives in Nampa and is a fan of big bores, as in 505 Gibbs, 470 Nitro's etc.

Another that passed not too long ago was Ed "Too Tall" Freeman. He lived in Boise. Hardly saw anything in the paper but was a hero in my mind. Guess Lohan and Hilton are what makes the papers sell so that is what gets printed. Hopefully those two people will come to the rescue when things get tough. Freeman was one of a handful of Medal of Honor winners in the state. I'm in Tendoy if anyone gets up this way would like to put a face to the name.

Sorry got the forums mixed up. I was answering the General Discussion forum. However I do live in Idaho and the last sentence stands.

Sometimes I miss more urban areas. I miss the better restaurants, food selection in markets, fine cheezes etc.....then it gets smoggy, then there is the traffic and crime and, and, and....and then I get to go home to Buhl, where in spite of the fact people look alarmingly alike,....LOL, :D it is quiet, I don't have to lock my doors, most people know you, if you are stopped by the side of the road, someone will stop and ask if you are ok. Trust me, I lived in California most of my life and really have a hard time going back to visit friends.
Buhl, Idaho isn't Shangrilha and the Treasure Valley really isn't all that bad compared to really big cities but I really like the inner comfort I have living in a small town, (4,000) people, where the desert begins 4 miles away and wilderness rules.

Thanks for the welcome.

Not to worry Mustang, it is great that there are CMH recipients in Idaho...
How many are there?

I don't really know for sure. There is one in Owyhee Co. We lost two this year One in north Idaho and Mr. Freeman. I just think it is sad that we don't know more about them. There was a movie made about the battle Mr. Freeman was involved in and that was taken from the book " WE Were Soldiers Once and Young". Any way welcome to Idaho. If things get tough economically I don't think there is a better place to weather the storm.

I agree. If shtf happens and it very well may, it is far better to here than in a major urban area where the "have nots" will try to survive by taking from the "have's".
I was never a propent of chaos or a dooms day survival stuff but in the last two years I am begining to have concerns that in parts of this country, very bad things could and might happen. In areas where the population is armed, like Idaho and other states it is less of a concern.
I have eaten jack rabbits and other stuff just to see what they tasted like and I can do it if I have to live. Yep, Idaho is a good place to be.
Moreover, I have found a ton of really friendly and helpful people like yourself here.
In that respect I feel blessed that I live in Idaho.

Dana

I'm in Tendoy if anyone gets up this way would like to put a face to the name.

I grew up between Salmon and North Fork. At present I am living in Meridian. <Sigh> I sure do miss living around the Salmon and Lemhi river country. My aching bones could use a soak in Sharkey Hot Springs.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.