Hello from Hell-A

300fortheWIN

Yes, my name is Andy and I have lived within 5 miles of LAX for over 50 years. This is real long range hunting. I work at a Hospital downtown LA. Was married over 32 yrs to my childhood sweetheart. 6 kids and 7 grandkids so far. My wife passed away 1 1/2 years ago. I have been shooting, hunting and fishing my whole life. I am looking for a good scope for a new Weatherby 338-378 Arroyo. Last several years I've been fly fishing but looking forward to learning more about long range shooting and getting out hunting again.
Thanks, Andy

Welcome to the forum! I can't imagine living in Hell-A. Went to a nieces wedding up by Ventura several years ago. The traffic was incredible.

Welcome to the forum! I can't imagine living in Hell-A. Went to a nieces wedding up by Ventura several years ago. The traffic was incredible.
Thanks,
I just got back from 2 weeks fly fishing in Oregon. I get out of here as often as I can.Yes, the concrete jungle sucks. I have some bonus points for Elk in UT and I subscribed to Hunting Fool again for draw odds. So I'm gearing up for hunting the next several years.
Have a good one.

Sup Andy. I'm not too far away from you. We learn to live here and survive. Welcome to the forum. What kind of budget are you looking for on a scope? Also what are you looking to do with the scope? Long range shooting, I would imagine you would want something around the 6-24 zoom range.

Hello hello
I have a Vanguard2 in 30-06 and 300 Win. But have two new rifles in jail for 10 days. Both are Weatherby Arroyo MK V. 1) 338-378, 2) 300 Win. I have a Leupold VX6 with Boone & Crockett illuminated reticle, I want to put on the new 300 win. Don't know what to put on the 338-378. Budget $1500-$2500 max. Options- 1)match the VX6 with BC reticle. 2) IOR Recon (may be too heavy). 3) First focal plane ?.I want to use the 300 win for thick areas and fast off hand shooting if necessary. The 338 for dangerous/larger game and reaching out if necessary when the terrain requires. I have one young son still at 13 and this year will be his first deer hunt. I would like to get him some long range training. My mom in AZ can give her Elk tag to my son (under 18) if she draws. I like to start at the best scope and features then work down to my budget. SB scope not going to happen.
Thanks for any GOOD suggestions.

Those are nice scopes. I never cared much for their reticles though. Honestly it was a tough decision for me too on the scope decision. I like the glass in the nightforce optics but their reticles are too **** busy for what I wanted. The Mil-C was the closest I could get and it to what I was looking for and what I could tolerate. I liked the Vortex scopes but after spending a day looking through a premier I couldn't get myself to get back into a Vortex as I was using a Pst 1st gen previously. I love that EBR-2C reticle though I think it's perfect for what I wanted. I then discovered the Kahles SKMR3 new reticle in the 6-24 package. To me that was the happy medium. Really decent glass with the customization I like on the scope. Many of these guys are going to be off loading their 624's for the new 525's coming out soon. Might be a good opportunity to pick one of those optics up as the used price of those should be going down pretty soon. I've been trying to get into another SKMR3 for my .308 (Currently 6.5 has it) My .308 has the Kahles 624 Mill-6 reticle. It's a little different, but very similar. Noone seems to want to trade for it though. Anyway, there are many choices out there for sure. You can find just about 95% of anything out there with that price range.

Those are nice scopes. I never cared much for their reticles though. Honestly it was a tough decision for me too on the scope decision. I like the glass in the nightforce optics but their reticles are too **** busy for what I wanted. The Mil-C was the closest I could get and it to what I was looking for and what I could tolerate. I liked the Vortex scopes but after spending a day looking through a premier I couldn't get myself to get back into a Vortex as I was using a Pst 1st gen previously. I love that EBR-2C reticle though I think it's perfect for what I wanted. I then discovered the Kahles SKMR3 new reticle in the 6-24 package. To me that was the happy medium. Really decent glass with the customization I like on the scope. Many of these guys are going to be off loading their 624's for the new 525's coming out soon. Might be a good opportunity to pick one of those optics up as the used price of those should be going down pretty soon. I've been trying to get into another SKMR3 for my .308 (Currently 6.5 has it) My .308 has the Kahles 624 Mill-6 reticle. It's a little different, but very similar. Noone seems to want to trade for it though. Anyway, there are many choices out there for sure. You can find just about 95% of anything out there with that price range.
Where is the best place to look through some better scopes?

I have typically asked people at ranges. Friends have certain scopes. I did the same with bonos. I sometimes see them on tripods and just ask people nicely. There's a lot of good stuff out there for sure. Many people are more sensitive than others when spotting imperfections.

I have typically asked people at ranges. Friends have certain scopes. I did the same with bonos. I sometimes see them on tripods and just ask people nicely. There's a lot of good stuff out there for sure. Many people are more sensitive than others when spotting imperfections.
I was looking at the Leupold VX6 HD 4-26x52 with the T-MOA reticle it has a 34 mm tube and only 23 oz. what do you think?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.