Hello from Fort Worth Texas

paxdoc

This site has been great for a someone like me who is learning about long range hunting. I got spurred by my 14 y/o son who really wants to try gopher hunting. He has a 243 Remington 700 SPS with a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 scope. I am looking at a 223 Savage model 12FV to combine with a Leupold VX III 6.5-20x40 EFR scope I was given.

Does this seem a reasonable start? I know a range finder and spotting scope are also in the works.

Thanks for any advice.

Welcome aboard,

Great kid you got there!!!!

I'd say its a great start!

However, for really long shots your son will probably out do ya just because the the 6mm cal will buck the wind a bit better than then 22 cal, unless you go with the heavier bullets.

Either way, you'll enjoy

The heavy bullets in each caliber are easy to find.
The next thing to do is to look up the specs for the rifles and find out what twist rate each gun's barrel has. That will help you know which are the better bullets you can use for longer distances.
Welcome to the forum.

Having a great time!

Recently purchased the left hand version of the Savage varminter M-12 in the 223 caliber. What a great gun! Had it fitted with a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40 EFR site and hope to take it prairie dog hunting in the next few months. Followed others advice here (thanks to all!) and purchased the Leica geovid rangefinder and Swaro STS HD 80 scope with some add-ons to permit digiscoping on the hunt. My son will shoot my gun and his Rem 700 243.

Now working on hitting the paper at ranges up to 1000 yds. No easy task for a newbie.

hi paxdoc good to see another texan on here. i got a uncle up in fort worth thats run for sheriff in tarrant county a couple of times his names jim hunter. my 11 yr old took his first deer with a 243 this year good caliber for a youngster to learn with.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts