Hello from Andrew in Clearwood, WA

yorke-1

I thought I'd say hi and introduce myself. My name is Andrew Yorke. I live in Clearwood, a community outside of Yelm in Thurston County WA. I'll be 27 on July 28th. I'm married with 2 kids, Zoe (6yrs) and Xavier (4yrs). I run a small business as a FedEx Ground Contractor running a route in the 98409 zip code in Tacoma. I've lived in the Tacoma area my whole life, and we just bought our first house here in Clearwood about a month ago.

I don't have much experience with long range shooting, but I'm looking to get started. Previously I shot mostly medium to large bore rifles and handguns ranging from a variety of revolvers, Contender pistols and carbines, to my 45/70 BFR, and 375 Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan. I bought a Savage LRPV in 22-250 almost a year ago and that got me started. I put a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x on it and fell in love with long range shooting. Now I want to get a second barrel in 6.5/284 to try my hand at long range hunting.

The only limiting factors are time and location. I hope to have the location issue reduced with our new house. The community is surrounded by gated Weyrhauser land. So I bought myself a bike and started exploring. It takes a bit of riding, but it looks like there are a lot of good spots if you get in far enough. None of this helps my time problem though. I leave the house at 5am and get home about 8pm. But that's what weekends are for right?

Just for fun, here are some videos of my kids when I took them shooting for the first time a few weeks ago. They had a good time, but like most kids they got bored pretty quick. Hopefully they will show an interest in shooting. That way I can take them out with me. Then I don't have to choose between spending time in the woods and spending time with the kids.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I look forward to learning from everyone's experience on this site. Maybe I can even make a worthwhile contribution every once in a while.

Andrew

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.