Heavy vs. Light Bullets

SES50

I deer and elk hunt but have started to go out to these long range tactical shoots to keep myself sharper for hunting season. Resently my wife showed and interest in the tactical shoots so we started looking for rifles for her. We ended up buying a Rem 700 PSS in 300 Win Mag so she can go out. I am going to be reloading for her and have been doing a lot of thinking about heavy verse light bullets. She will never shoot an animal with this rifle so I do not need down range energy. So here are the two train of thoughts I have been on:

1. Go with a heavy bullet to resist wind buffeting, but yet it flys slower and is going to see the wind for a longer period of time.

2. Go with a a light bullet which gives me more speed so that the wind does not have as much time to effect the bullet.

We are shooting out to 1000 yards and the wind where we shoot buffets and swirles a lot. Again this will only be for shooting paper so it does not have to be a heavy bullet to make a kill once it gets to its destination.

Thanks
Sherman

[ QUOTE ]
1. Go with a heavy bullet to resist wind buffeting, but yet it flys slower and is going to see the wind for a longer period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause it's easier to adjust for elevation than for wind.
Just my guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

First - there is absolutely no reason to go with a .300 Win mag for tactical matches. Most of 'em are won with .308's and under, like the .260 or the .243 Win - even out to 1000 yards. Essentially all the magnum gets you is more recoil and more muzzle blast when a well-loaded 6.5-284 or .243 Win will shoot as well - even at long ranges.

But... If ya gotta have the big belted magnum - and I certainly understand the appeal - I think you'll find a quick look at the wind charts will show you that the longer, heavier, higher BC bullets are far less affected by the wind. Last year Kent Reeve won the 1000 yard cup at Camp Perry shooting a .300 Win mag, with heavy bullets. Quite a departure from the norm. In recent years the 1000 yard champs have used 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges because they perform as well through the air and on target, and recoil so much less. It's easier for the shooter to be accurate with them. Kent's win was a throwback to the old days when big belted .30's dominated the 1000 yard game.

Interesting subject - you really don't need that .300 Win mag to shoot the tactical matches, but it will certainly do a fine job. For good results at long ranges, look at stuff like the Sierra 190, 200 and 220 grain matchkings, loaded warm.

Regards, Guy

I understand you do not need a 300 WM for the tactical stuff but I figured I could always detune the 300 WM to shoot slower with a lighter bullet if she does not like the recoil but I can not always make a 308 shoot a really heavy bullet faster. I am also putting a muzzle brake and a limbsaver pad on it for her so that should take away a bunch of the recoil. I am also already reloading 300 WM and have the comp dies for it. So the 300WM was the logical choice.

Plus if she gets to the point that she does not want to shoot the tactical stuff any more, then I have I rifle that I would be happy with. She has shown interest, that does not mean that she is going to stick with it for years so come.

Thanks for the input though.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus if she gets to the point that she does not want to shoot the tactical stuff any more, then I have I rifle that I would be happy with.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the truth finally comes out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif All joking aside, go with one of the heavier bullets and you will be okay. Do a search for wildcat uld rbbt and start reading. Crazy high bc's and **** accurate to boot. Just a thought. And best of luck to her. I hope she has tons of fun.

Jerry

The light bullets will beat the heavy bullet in wind drift and drop out to about 400yds then they start to loose speed WAY faster than the heavy , higher BC bullet and thats what gets you on targets at long range.

1) get a good brake for it , the link below is to a smith I use and highly reccommend his V-port brake it will make the 300 a totaly ***** cat to shoot you can PM a member eddybo here , he had one put on a sporter weight 300Wby and can atest to the effectiveness and great instalation.
I don't care who you are a 300 mag will beat you up if it has to be shot all day even a 12-14lb gun

2) after the brake is installed I'd reccmmnd calling Berger and seeing if you could get a couple of eacy of their bullet in 175 , 190 and 210 VLD desgine seat each one in the gun to see whats the lighest bullet you can use and still touch the lands , the VLD's tend to like to be seated either into the lands or right at them , I'd use the lighest one that you can get to touch , this will help reduce the recoil some also. The BC on the 175 Berger is about .520 thats higher than the heavier 190gr Sierra Match king and it'll be flying faster so you'll get less wind drift flatter shooting and less recoil.

I personaly build a 260 for this type of shooting instead of shooting a 300 win mag that I already have because it shoots flatter , has way less recoil and muzzel blast , longer barrel life and uses about half the powder

SES50,

I have a 700PSS in 300WM. This one just doesn't do well with the light pills. I had descent accuracy with 168 Hdy HPBTs but, when I dropped to 150 class bullets it opened to just over MOA. The best luck I've had so far has been with 190MKs. I tried 180MKs, 178AMXs, 200MKs and the 190MKs, the 190s were the ticket by far. I really haven't done much shooting besides load development so I only have about 150-200 down the tube right now. The 190MKs over 73grns of H4831 routinely print less than an inch at 200 and have cut many one hole groups at 100. Every rifle is different for sure, hopefully yours will like the light pills if you go that route.

These are pretty good shootin' rifles for the money.

Good Luck

Reloader

I had a 300wm in a pss and it to like the 190smk and it shot well. I shot the barrel out shooting ground squirles with it because I liked shooting them with it. I would look at the bergers if I was you, If she dosent have to make a weight and she isnt going to be packing it around I would get a night force on it with night force rings and bases along with a harris bipod and it weighs it down enough that it dosent want to move. At least not enough to kick real bad, I had a 10yr old 70lb kid shooting mine when I had it up and running and he shot it fine.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will start with either the 190SMK or the 195 Bergers. I appreciate the help.

SES

I shoot 210 Bergers when I need a "no worries" - range up to 600 meters or so. Tikka T3 Tactical. 300 WM.

Yeah I know that´s not exactly far out. I can hit an A4 at 500 m but that´s it.

Bergers are very nice boolits. I also use a big game boolit called "Mira" that has an almost identical vertical path to that heavy Berger. Up to 400 m or so, that is. Berger just doesn´t mind the wind that much and wind is exactly what comes in around those ranges. Much more power left in thoes Bergers, too.

It must be pretty wild furher out there- but I´m on my way. With Bergers.

One hundred at a time. You must shoot the wind to know it, I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.