270 weatherby mag: light or heavy bullet?

gilmillan1

Hello, I just got everything to start reloading my 270 weatherby mag but I dont know if I should reload it with the 165 matrix bullets or with the 130 vlds. What would you guys recommend. I plan to shoot it at 500 to 600 yard on deer size game. I could have a crazy fast light bullet or a 165 grain bullet at around 3000 fps

Your bullet weight selection will be defined by your barrel's twist rate. If you have a tight twist, you can stabilize the heavies. With a slower twist you will not, so you will have to handle the lighter bullets.

I would give the 165 Matrix a try, if they fly then you have the best you can get in a 270. The 130 VLD you can blow up if you want to in the WBY or WSM, you may not have a harmonious out come if you know what I mean gun)

you have sound advice from earlier posts. The only other option if you really want fast is a 130 grain bonded tipped pill and that'll be slightly lower bc than the other options. I use a bunch of the 130's in my 270 win's but I don't treat those rifles as long range rigs. They are mostly paper punching with an occasional doe tossed in.

Handloading the .270 Weatherby, I was surprised to learn that I could drive the 150 gr Ballistic tips just as fast as the 130 gr ballistic tips at similar pressure but slower powders. I got 3215 from the 150grs using R-22 and CCi 250 primers.

Weatherby chambers are noted for freebore. Mine was 3/8 inch (a custom McMillian barreled 24 inch Santa Barbra Mauser). I have seen 3/4 inch freebore in Weatherby chambers. You might do best with long bullets seated beyond the magazine. SLOW powders like Retumbo will probably do best with the heavy bullets.

I like 140 gr Bergers or Accubonds in my .270 WSM with MagPro to 3300 fps. Mine is a 28 inch factory barreled 1885 Highwall. I have not seen any separation but I coat all of my bullets with HBN and lap the barrels. This reduces the damage to jackets.

I have a 270 mag in a MK. V. I tried 130 grain SST's, and they were like grenades. Some actually blew up in the air! I later tried 140's and 150's. The 140 grain SST was still too fast, but still did slightly better than the 130's. The 150 grain bullets (all of them) started out shooting around 3/4" without any load development (just grabbed some loads out of the manuals). There is little doubt that I can make the 150 grain bullet shoot in the low sixes, and maybe even smaller group sizes. Have not been able to try anything heavier yet, but the 165 grain bullets are on my want list. And before I forget about it, get your hands on some AA 3100 powder!
gary

my 1:10 twist brux barrel 270 wby mag is showing lots of promise with the 165gr matrix using H1000 and federal 215m primers. I am new to reloading with no mentor to guide me , so load development has been a slow process as there is no load info for that bullet.. hope this helps

my 1:10 twist brux barrel 270 wby mag is showing lots of promise with the 165gr matrix using H1000 and federal 215m primers. I am new to reloading with no mentor to guide me , so load development has been a slow process as there is no load info for that bullet.. hope this helps

I have found no powder better than AA3100 in the 270 mag. They are supposed to start shipping it again as per another post on this board.
gary

hey, trckymsft, we meet again. i don't have any load dev. for my 270B yet, it's a mark V accumark. it shot 1.5-1.75" 100 yd groups with factory weatherby 130/140 ammo. it shoots the weatherby 150sp .75" at 200yds, all day long!! i love the gun, don't think i can improve of the accuracy, so haven't tried. if you come across something good, pls let me know..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.