Hearing Protection Hunting W/ Muzzle Brake

Mine are walkers.
75D51E8E-ABB5-4CBC-9622-A1B48205A8FF.jpeg

I use Walker Razors. They're electric and run for 4-5 hours on a single charge. I put them in a just forget I even have them on! I use a Harrell precision tunable brake on my 7mag. Just awesome!

I use the plastic ear plugs that look like barbs. They seal instantly, vs. foam, and I tie the lanyard around my neck so they are always ready.

I use the horseshoe type and sometimes I use the barbed type on a string. They both work well. Every now and then I will use my Walker Ear Muffs when I'm hunting around the house in the swamp. It helps me hear the woods better because of my bad hearing.

Last edited:
I wear hearing aids because of all the shooting damage during my life. Therefore, I now always carry ear muffs that will fit over the aids and use them religiously when hunting or not.

I'm another fan of the Otto Noizebarrier. I've shot my braked 300 WM with them while hunting with no problems. When I'm at the range, I double down and use muffs as well. I changed out the foam inserts that came with them for Skullscrews and have no issues with them backing out.

+1 On the horseshoe type. It seem like these are the least cumbersome and are right there when you need them. I always seem to find them really quickly after squeezing the trigger on the 300WM with the 4-port slab brake :oops:. I recommend staying away from the ear plugs with the cord/rope that connects them together. Those get tangled in the bino harness, hoods, and hats too much.

When hunting with my 15 year old daughter this year, I packed a set of Walker's Lazer Series Low Profile ear muffs. They work great because you can communicate when ranging and calling the shots. I'd rather pack the extra weight when hunting with her, but I guess that's just dad - always wanting to protect his daughter.

+1 On the horseshoe type. It seem like these are the least cumbersome and are right there when you need them. I always seem to find them really quickly after squeezing the trigger on the 300WM with the 4-port slab brake :oops:. I recommend staying away from the ear plugs with the cord/rope that connects them together. Those get tangled in the bino harness, hoods, and hats too much.

When hunting with my 15 year old daughter this year, I packed a set of Walker's Lazer Series Low Profile ear muffs. They work great because you can communicate when ranging and calling the shots. I'd rather pack the extra weight when hunting with her, but I guess that's just dad - always wanting to protect his daughter.
I can see that, my daughter was using a 6mm rem this season and I kept the horseshoe style handy, never got a chance to use them but we came prepared. I suppose I could have packed muffs since the weight wouldn't have amounted to anything in the pack along with the spotter, tripod and the extra layers brought along.

Another here using orange horse shoe ones. I just hunt with them around my neck. They work well enough, even for my 338 RUM with an aggressive brake.

I use to wear walker low profile ears with the build in mic, but they would get annoying in extreme weather.

Another here using orange horse shoe ones. I just hunt with them around my neck. They work well enough, even for my 338 RUM with an aggressive brake.

I use to wear walker low profile ears with the build in mic, but they would get annoying in extreme weather.
👆Been wearing them around my neck for years. Don`t even notice them anymore.☝️