Hearing Protection Hunting W/ Muzzle Brake

I use the horseshoe type. However, mine don't have the foam tips. Instead they have the rubber barbed ones. I don't have to wait for the foam to re-inflate to seal, and they are way easier to clean if they get dirty. Mine are so comfortable I have slept in them… mainly cause I forgot I had them on.

Afternoon,

I'm pretty sure after the holidays my 300 win mag is getting a brake, not for recoil but so I am able to spot my shots. What are you guys using with a brake when hunting for hearing protection. I'm not looking to be packing muffs for when I'm hunting. I've been looking at the Axil GS Extreme but haven't committed, and would like to see what everyone is using with a brake.

Thanks all!
Electronic in-ear buds with ambient amplification work well for me. Don't interfere with cheek weld or head coverings. Have several brands with no specific preference, other than I prefer replaceable batteries rather than re-chargeable batteries. I can carry several sets of replacement batteries, but those extension cords for the rechargeable batteries keep getting tangled after about two miles of payout. Yeah, I know I can carry battery packs, but recharge takes too much time. Put buds in the ear when I leave the Jeep and wear til I return. The amplification feature assists with existing hearing issues for ambient sounds.....deer sneaking around, etc. And, then, the buds clip the high pressure of the gun shot. Provides the best of both benefits for my needs.

Some time ago I was working up a load with my .375 H&H using just under 80 grains of H4350 with a 300-grain bullet, a load that a friend used In Africa. I was using a brake and had ear plugs & passive muffs on. It was near the end of a long dry summer and much dust covered the roof of the shelter over the benches, in front of benches and other places. After the first shot dust flew & other shooters quit and looked concerned & asked if I was OK. It was a Vais brake & I had a tapered steel pin to push thru holes to unscrew or screw it on. I promptly took the brake off & never used it again. Sort of like contact sports. I now use Peltor electronic muffs, and my powder weights are usually under 45 grains.

This option is expensive, but I bought Sport Ear (now Axil) custom fit electronic earbuds (former hearing aid manufacturer) a few years ago. They're tuned to compensate well for my heavy loss of high frequency hearing (due to 50+ years of shooting). They're also reprogrammable if my hearing changes over time. They were somewhere under $3000, through a deal at FrontSight when I was there (hearing frequency response test, custom ear canal molds, tuning). I also got the waterproofing treatment. They have several modes, including amplification with spike attenuation (eg gunshot) which is great for hunting or at the range. They also have a background noise cancel mode, so I can actually hear someone for a change, talking right at me in a crowded noisy room. I have a couple pairs of walker low profile muffs and game-ear buds, lots of foam and silicone buds (surefire, etc), but the Sport Ears easily work best for me. Great auditory performance and protection, very comfortable for all-day wear, unobtrusive (won't get knocked loose at just the wrong moment with recoil like muffs). I feel it was worth the large investment for me, and may be for you if you do a lot of hunting and shooting. Just something to consider.

I use the horseshoe type.Wear everyday at work in construction so used to them,had braked rifle in 340 or larger last 30 years