HAWKEYE borescopes

Ian M

Anybody have any experience with these units I just got one and I am impressed already with what I am seeing. Very easy to use, very clear and sharp, now to figure how to take pictures with the adapter etc.
Amazed at the grunge and fouling in a "clean" barrel, as well as the tool marks. This little instrument appears to be a "must-have" if you really want to know what is going on with your cleaning techniques, throat and bore condition, quality of manufacture etc.

Ian

I have used one for several years. They are wonderful. One warning, though. The tip has very sharp edges and I have scratched a couple of barrels with mine. Enough that it affected accuracy. The scratches pick up copper fouling quickly. My scratches occurred in the first few inches of the bore at the muzzle end. As you pull the unit in and out, just be careful that it is parallel to the bore when near the muzzle. That is the only spot on the bore where it would even be possible to have the scope's tip at too great an angle to the bore. Once the scope is in further, the angle issue kind of takes care of itself.

If you want a demonstration of what can happen with the sharp edges, try scraping the tip, at an angle, gently along the surface of your formica kitchen countertops...when your wife isn't looking. You'll see that it can easily scrape material off the surface.

The improper use of mine has been real good for Chris Matthews re-barrelling business. If he could I'm sure he would delete my post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Len,
Thanks for the tip, maybe a person could bevel that edge a bit with some emery cloth or something?
I have some barrels here that have so much copper in them that scraping might help clean them up...
Have you tried taking pictures through yours, I got the adapter for a 52mm Nikon lens, will give it a try.

db

Perhaps, although the scope barrel length is already not long enough to see the middle of a long barrel so adding something onto the end makes that situation worse.

Ian

No attempts at photography.

[ QUOTE ]
Len,
Thanks for the tip, maybe a person could bevel that edge a bit with some emery cloth or something?
I have some barrels here that have so much copper in them that scraping might help clean them up...
Have you tried taking pictures through yours, I got the adapter for a 52mm Nikon lens, will give it a try.

[/ QUOTE ] One thing you don't want to do is try and wipe the dust off the mirror, get a can of dust off and use like you would on your high dollar camera lens. The fiber optic in the tube if scratched= "THE BALLGAME". I've had mine for nine years and love it. Kiss the old wives tales good-by, in regards to cleaning. Watch the throat erosion before your vary eyes. A great item to use in a gun trade when someone tells you how little the rifle's been shot. I find with mine it's best to pull the barreled action out of the stock to use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.