Has anyone tried the Prairie Hunter stocks from Boyds?

boattailed bandit

Im wanting to get a replacement stock for my Browning A-bolt and have came up short on options. I have found that I quite like the looks of the prairie hunter and was wondering if anyone has one or has tried one. I really like the pepper finish but the photos aren't great on the website. Anybody able to chime in on these stocks? Any pictures would be great as well.

I dont have a prairie hunter but I do have a thumbhole stock from boyds, They are quality built and finished the stock was a drop in fit and did not require any adjustments and the barrel channel is cut to float the barrel. I am going to order another stock for another one of my rem 700's and am going to get it in pepper finish.

223001_zpsbf2b694d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice looking rig you got there! I thought about a thumbhole stock, but It would have to be more custom than their options have. I shoot a right handed rifle left handed. lol. Good lookin rig though cholla. Was your rifle floated for a factory barrel or a larger tube? Mine is just factory so im curious.

I have one on a savage 7mm-08 blind mag and I opened the barrel channel up to fit a criterion light varmint barrel with a 30 mm scope ring lapping bar with sandpaper taped to it. the edges of barrel channel are a little thin but holding up well , if I get another I will get the recoil pad upgrade though

Bandit, have bedded several including a Prarie Hunter for my son in the pepper color. There is a Limbsaver recoil pad that fits them very well my son put on his. The mudflap that comes on them are not a pad. Will have to find the model # of the Limbsaver that fits with some e-mails. Very solid stocks and a great price. Not as light as a B&C or HS but strong. For the price you will be happy with it.

I haven't used the particular model from Boyd's that you have referenced, but I have used Boyd's stocks in the past. Mine were unfinished. They turned out very nice once the action was bedded and the wood finished. For most applications, I prefer a good laminate to a synthetic stock.

You might also consider Richard's Microfit stocks. They are more expensive than Boyd's, but they offer more custom options. Specifically, they will set up stocks for left handed shooters using right handed actions. I plan to order several stocks from them in the near future. Here is their site:

Richards Microfit Gunstocks

I thought about a thumbhole stock, but It would have to be more custom than their options have. I shoot a right handed rifle left handed.

Call them. They often will allow options not listed on their site, and it's likely not a big deal for them to make a left handed stock with a right handed bolt.

They are pretty good for the $$, a tad limited on the stock choices but solid stocks. I had a boyds Rem 700 ADL thumbhole and it was pretty nice, had to hog out the barrel channel for my bbls but was easy. I wasnt a fan of the length of reach to the trigger as it was longer than I preferred but other than that you can go wrong for $90-120 they charge.

I tried richards microfit before and wont again despite the extra options...too much work needed done with carpentry tools I dont have.

Hey boattailed bandit,

First off I'm sorry for resurrecting this one year old post. Did you ever go through with the Boyds prairie hunter stock? I just got mine in after a decent wait over the holidays. If you haven't gotten one yet, I'd have to say I'm really impressed with mine. I own a .270 Savage Axis II with the accutriger. I went with the Boyds prairie hunter in a walnut wood. I got a 90 degree gloss custom finish and laser ribbon checkering. The raised cheek peice is perfect for my low rings and Weaver scope and all in all a much better stock then the cheap plastic they give you. Gotta say it turned out nice for the cost.

Attachments

• Savage_Axis_II.jpg
    Savage_Axis_II.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 3,093
  • Boyds_Prairie_Hunter_Stock.jpg
    Boyds_Prairie_Hunter_Stock.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 1,899
  • Boyds_Walnut_Stock.jpg
    Boyds_Walnut_Stock.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 10,335
  • Boyds_90_Degree_Finish.jpg
    Boyds_90_Degree_Finish.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 7,876
  • Boyds_90_Degree_Finish2.jpg
    Boyds_90_Degree_Finish2.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 4,036
Trap, have you bedded the new stock? Saw some videos on bedding the Axis 2 indicating the bedding works well.

Haven't gotten around to bedding it yet. I planned on shooting it first and collecting a few groups before seeing if it needs bedding. It does need a very, and I stress very, light sanding around the barrel so I don't have any problems if it swells. What kind of bedding did you see that helps because I know there a few different types.

I own a few Boyd's stocks Thier grate for the $$ I'd post pic but no idea how to ...only had one issue witch they cleared up plan o. Ordering another one in a few weeks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.