Has anybody burned up a 6.5 PRC barrel?

rharfo

Recently attend a long range class with my HS Precision 6.5 PRC. Students were keeping the instructor busy so I started letting it eat out to 1060. The instructor walks over puts his hand on my warm barrel and tells me to give the barrel a break. So I did. During the 4 hour range session I fired 87 rounds. This made me wonder if anyone has actually "killed" their 6.5 PRC barrel yet.....

I have not heard any definitive experiences on this. When I researched, I have heard anything from "expect 1500-2000 rounds", to higher. But just that--nobody with actual round counts.

Interested to see if anybody here has first or second-hand experience.

I have a 6.5x06 which is the same ballistics as the PRC & after years of use still have a great looking throat. I believe you have to get a much larger case with greater powder capacity to be a true barrel burner.

A lot of variables. Slow powders and not pushing the max vs all out. But I think the biggest one is your definition of when it is gone. A drop in FPS from your favorite load? Groups move from sub-MOA to MOA? You have to seat longer than magazine to be .020 off the lands? I think that accounts for some of the difference in numbers we see for various rounds.

I'm only 150 or so into mine. I run H1000 and I'm not pushing the envelope with 140's at 3050. I'd hope to get to 2,000-2,500 and still be around MOA with decent speeds. Should be a decade or two of hunting and practice.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.