Hammers with 7saum or 7ss?

OG-danimal

Hey all, I'm rebarreling a Zermatt origin short action 6.5 prc to a 7mm. Deciding between the saum and the Sherman short. I'll be rockin a 20" barrel and a dead air nomad suppressor. Shooting a hammer bullet of some variety, 140/155 Absolute hammer or the 143 hammer hunter. Thoughts on what cartridge/bullet to go with? The goal is an all round midweight 700 yard max for deer elk and black bear.
Thanks!

I don't have either 7SAUM or 7SS, but I have a 6.8 Western so I keep an eye out for brass in each chambering. It has been almost impossible to fund 7 SAUM brass over the last couple years. 7SS seems somewhat more available from Sherman.

Agreed - get ready to hunt for brass if going with the SAUM. The SS may give you the ability to really maximize your short action Origin over a SAUM (although really just depends on the projectile you're planning to shoot). Either one should do you well, but I would track down brass in either case first.

If you can wait until July for 7 SAUM brass, I believe it can still be pre-ordered through Unknown Munitions......

If you can wait until July for 7 SAUM brass, I believe it can still be pre-ordered through Unknown Munitions......
Good points on brass availability. I'm preordered for July with Unknown for ADG. My interim solution has been necking down Nosler .300 SAUM which several hold as having higher strength primer pockets. I bought 60 loaded rounds of Sirocco II 150 grain in ADG Brass from North American Munitions as a backstop.

OG, Go with the SAUM & 143 HH.
You'll be glad you did.

Brass can be found with a little work.
Another run about July.
ADG has a dealers list, reference that list & call or e-mail each one. Get on waiting list or call em when you hear brass is showing up.
Also put WTB ads on 2-3 forums.
That's what I did a few months back & had enuff
Brass to help out a couple guys here on the forum.

I'm almost finished with my build,
It's also a shorty with DA Nomad LTi

Good luck,

Last edited:

Recent Posts