Hammer bullets load data?

stoti

Hello.
I while back I posted a thread asking if I should re-barrel a custom 30-06 and use a barrel set up for a longer range hunting caliber like the 6.5x284. Most people who responded recommended that I leave the barrel and scope as is and focus on reloading better cartridges.
I have been reloading again, a lot more after a long , long break and have come up with some pretty good loads so far. Because there are so many variables to choose from, I have limited my initial testing to two powders, two primers, one brand of brass and five different bullets. So far I have been using IMR4350 and H414 powders, Hornady brass, CCI BR2 and CCI 200 primers and various bullets including Berger 168 and 185gr. Hunting VLD's, Hornady 168gr. Match BTHP, Hornady 178gr. ELD-X, and the Barnes 168gr. TSX.
After many different loads using both the ladder and OCW styles of testing I found that the bullets that have shot best so far are the Berger 168's and the Hornady 178gr. Match BTHP. Because there are so many variables and because I'm shooting on average about 30-40+ rounds per session, I'm having trouble determining if my loads are not performing as expected, I'm flinching, the barrel is getting too hot(even after waiting 2+ minutes between shots with the bolt open on cool, breezy days) or if something else is causing the lack luster loads. I just had a muzzle brake installed, so that should take care of any flinching!
Before I started reloading again, I used HSM Trophy Gold ammunition loaded with Berger 168gr. hunting VLD bullets with a COAL of 3.220 and they shot phenomenally. The reloads I tried using the same Berger bullets also shot well. The 168gr. Hornady Match BTHP loads shot the best of all but the Barnes 168gr. loads were terrible. The Hornady 178gr. ELD-X bullets didn't shoot at all, nor did the 185gr. Bergers.
I understand how to work up a load properly, internal, external and terminal ballistics, seating depth and the effects of Coal, length of bearing surface, length of ogive, effects of jam and jump and all of the technical aspects of reloading. I know there are a ton more technical terms I could have thrown out there to let you know that I know how to reload and I'm not a newbie. I'm not trying to boast either... I know there are many of you out there that are much, much more knowledgeable that I am when it comes to reloading. That's why I'm here asking for advice! It's been a long while since I've loaded but at one time I was a pretty darn good reloader...on top of that, I'm OCD and meticulous so my loads usually turned out good to great.
So, with all of that being said, sorry it was so long winded and I seemed to babble on forever, here's my question... In most cases, monolithic bullets yield higher chamber pressures as compared to a jacketed bullet of the same weight. I'm looking to work up some loads using the Hammer Hunter 166gr. bullets that have a parabolic drag reduction system built into the bullet's bearing surface which decreases drag and pressure while at the same time increases velocity. So do the negative and positive design characteristics just kind of nullify each other when working up with a load? I obviously have 165gr. loading data, there's a ton of it out there. However, Hammer Bullets states that there bullets have ballistic coefficient equivalent to their competitors next heavier bullet while at the same time having velocities similar to their competitors next lighter bullets. So what are everyone's thought on working up a load for my 30-06? Better yet...does anybody have any load data for the 30-06 shooting the Hammer Hunter 166gr. bullet preferably using IMR4350 or even H414 powders? That would be super helpful!!!
Again, I am very sorry for being so long winded and babbling for so long. I also know that this post is kind of all over the place. I've had a lot of interruptions this morning and I'm having a tough time keeping my train of thoughts. To sum it all up,

I'M LOOKING FOR LOAD DATA FOR A 30-06 USING THE HAMMER HUNTER 166GR. BULLET. IF YOU HAVE THAT LOAD DATA USING IMR4350 POWDER THAT WOULD BE EVEN BETTER BUT NOT NECESSARY. I'M ALSO CURIOUS ABOUT THE PRESSURE INCREASE/DECREASE BECAUSE OF THE BULLETS MONOLITHIC DESIGN AND THE BEARING SURFACE MADE USING PARABOLIC DRAG REDUCTION.

Thank you all very much in advance for your responses. All of the questions that I've asked on this forum in the past have all been answered thoughtfully and accurately. I've gotten so much great information from this website by either just reading other people's posts and responses or asking my own questions and reading the responses for those questions. THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!
Sincerely, Kevin Stoughton (Stoti)

Hello Kevin,

I am going to have to go read my front page again. I hope I did not say that our bullet has the bc of competitors heavier bullets. That is not likely. Our bc's are comparable to other bullets of the same weight give or take. Not the best not the worst.

As far as loading you can generally use load data for like weight bullets very well. The PDR makes them have a little less pressure than conventional lead core bullets in most cases. Definitely less pressure than grooved mono bullets, and probably a bit more than drive band/bore rider bullets. Use conventional published data and work up from there. Most rifles I find to hit pressure a couple of grains over published data. Still work up as every rifle is different. I look for load data that does not show compressed loads with the given powder, but I like to finish near 100% load density.

The method that I use is to work up in 1g increments one shot at a time with a chronograph. I like to do this at 2 or 3 hundred yards. I watch the target looking for a bit if a node, or tight group. This is not the determining factor for the load though, just good info. I will load up till I find the first signs of pressure and then back off 1 or 2g. Then I load for group with that load. Very rarely do I find the need to tweek the chosen load for group. They pretty much always shoot better than I can. Reason for the chronograph is to watch vel. If it is way too high so is pressure. With most rifles I get 100fps give or take more vel than published data. Again every rifle is different. This does not always happen, some rifles are just slow.

Another thing I have learned is to clean the rifle completely before you start. Our bullets do not seem to copper foul at all but rifles with heavy fouling seem to cause trouble when we start load developing. So get all the copper and carbon out before you start. I like Tetra Gun. Use your favorite.

You should be able to get load development and zero done in less than 25 rounds. The powders you have should work. If you can find H4350 or IMR4451, those would be my go to.

I will bug one of my best buddies that has done a bunch of work with the 166g Hammer in 30-06 and get his load.

Steve

Thanks Steve.
When I spoke to you last week you told me similar stuff, I just couldn't remember all of the details and didn't write it down because we were on the phone. As far as you checking up on what I said about "BC's similar to competitors heavier bullets and velocities near competitors lighter bullets", I thought that was accurate but I could have pulled that one totally out of my A--? I don't know? I've been researching and taking notes on so many different loads and bullets etc...etc... I might be making stuff up that I thought I read somewhere. Sad but true.
Anyway, I'll get a hold of you tomorrow to order some of these 166gr. bullets and I'll get to loading. I've had some of the bullets I've been working with be very finicky with seating depth and others that are supposed to be "super accurate" that just don't shoot out of my gun thus far. I realize there are a lot of variables to play around with to get them to shoot but that's part of the problem...too many variables.
I'm hoping with your bullets I can get the velocity I'm looking for and then fine tune the load to perfection. If you can get the information from you buddy that we talked about last week, that would really help too. Thanks again Steve. I really look forward to testing out your bullets. Sincerely, Kevin Stoughton

Thanks Steve.
When I spoke to you last week you told me similar stuff, I just couldn't remember all of the details and didn't write it down because we were on the phone. As far as you checking up on what I said about "BC's similar to competitors heavier bullets and velocities near competitors lighter bullets", I thought that was accurate but I could have pulled that one totally out of my A--? I don't know? I've been researching and taking notes on so many different loads and bullets etc...etc... I might be making stuff up that I thought I read somewhere. Sad but true.
Anyway, I'll get a hold of you tomorrow to order some of these 166gr. bullets and I'll get to loading. I've had some of the bullets I've been working with be very finicky with seating depth and others that are supposed to be "super accurate" that just don't shoot out of my gun thus far. I realize there are a lot of variables to play around with to get them to shoot but that's part of the problem...too many variables.
I'm hoping with your bullets I can get the velocity I'm looking for and then fine tune the load to perfection. If you can get the information from you buddy that we talked about last week, that would really help too. Thanks again Steve. I really look forward to testing out your bullets. Sincerely, Kevin Stoughton

Just got a text from him. His is in the throws of a death march looking for an elk. One day left. He said he will get me his data then.

Steve

Thank you. I can't really do much, other than case prep(my favorite)until I get the bullets from you anyway. I'll get a hold of you to place an order via the phone or through your website, if you prefer. Below is my contact info too. Thanks again, Kevin

Kevin Stoughton
PO Box 62
12090 Eel River Rd.
Potter Valley, Ca. 95469

[email protected]

(707)489-3948 cellular

Thank you. I can't really do much, other than case prep(my favorite)until I get the bullets from you anyway. I'll get a hold of you to place an order via the phone or through your website, if you prefer. Below is my contact info too. Thanks again, Kevin

Kevin Stoughton
PO Box 62
12090 Eel River Rd.
Potter Valley, Ca. 95469

[email protected]

(707)489-3948 cellular

It is easiest if you just order straight from the website. If you are not comfortable with that let me know.

Steve

I'm totally fine ordering from the website. I was just going to give you a personal phone call to get my Black Friday, 2 for 1 deal, since we're practically best buddies now! LOL. I'd still love to see your friend's hand load data for the 30-06 when he gets off the mountain, and thanks for all of the information. I can't wait to give these bullets a shot. Kevin

I'm totally fine ordering from the website. I was just going to give you a personal phone call to get my Black Friday, 2 for 1 deal, since we're practically best buddies now! LOL. I'd still love to see your friend's hand load data for the 30-06 when he gets off the mountain, and thanks for all of the information. I can't wait to give these bullets a shot. Kevin

As soon as I hear back from him I'll make sure you get his data.

It has been a tough year hear for the elk due to no weather help. I know the area that he hunts and it is tough country. He always gets his elk and he is now 9 days straight pushing for his bull. The area he hunts was good when we were 30 not now that we are 50. I did what he is doing 4 years ago and swear that I never quite recovered. I think a little of me died in that effort. It will be interesting to see if he recovers from this season. I'm sure he will shoot one today back in a remote dark hole and then have three more days getting it out.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.