H450

rcs33

Anyone have any experience with H450? I got hold of some a few years ago and had never opened it. Now that I'm running low on H4831 (with no availability anywhere) I've decided to broaden my horizons.

It is a ball powder used in 50 BMG and was discontinued years ago. It is the best powder I ever used in my 270 with 140 gr. Amazing accuracy!
Treat it like gold.

It is a ball powder used in 50 BMG and was discontinued years ago. It is the best powder I ever used in my 270 with 140 gr. Amazing accuracy!
Treat it like gold.
I was thinking for sure it was surplus 20MM powder, but you might be right. Been awhile. Was Mil surplus for sure just like all the old Hodgdon powders. It was good stuff.

I use this in my 270 Weatherby mag. Great powder with the 130-150 gr bullets for accuracy and velocity. The lots I have would seem to have a burn rate between H4831 and IMR 7828, but beware the burn rates between lots in this powder can vary by as much as 4-5 grs. One of the reasons it was discontinued ( I read at the time) was due to this.

It is also quite temperature sensitive. Be careful if working up a max load in cold weather and shooting it in warm weather.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.