Gunsmith for 30 Nosler

Swatman05

Good evening gentlemen,

I am looking to get in contact with a reputable gunsmith who has experience working on Browning Rifles. I have a Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Max Long Range in 30 Nosler and would like to get it worked on for accuracy. It can hit a Steel Ram Target at 600yds, but I would like to get more accuracy out of it. I'm about to start reloading as well. Do you guys know of anyone?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240414_163736_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240414_163736_Photos.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20240414_163620_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240414_163620_Photos.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 32
Good evening gentlemen,

I am looking to get in contact with a reputable gunsmith who has experience working on Browning Rifles. I have a Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Max Long Range in 30 Nosler and would like to get it worked on for accuracy. It can hit a Steel Ram Target at 600yds, but I would like to get more accuracy out of it. I'm about to start reloading as well. Do you guys know of anyone?
@lancetkenyon
@LVJ76

There's not much that can be done to a factory rifle to improve accuracy beyond pillar bedding if it doesn't come that way from the factory. Other things- like loose action screws, barrel that's not free-floated can be culprits- but the barrel is the most important contributor to accuracy and that's cast.

What other lightweight, hard-recoiling magnums do you shoot, and what is your typical level of accuracy?

It's impossible to evaluate this without more specific info- can't even see the hits on the steel to determine the spread; what are your typical 100 yard groups?

Last edited:
There's not much that can be done to a factory rifle to improve accuracy beyond pillar bedding if it doesn't come that way from the factory. Other things- like loose action screws, barrel that's not free-floated can be culprits- but the barrel is the most important contributor to accuracy and that's cast.

What other lightweight, hard-recoiling magnums do you shoot, and what is your typical level of accuracy?

It's impossible to evaluate this without more specific info- can't even see the hits on the steel to determine the spread; what are your typical 100 yard groups?
I'll have to shoot it at 100yds and let ya know!

Good evening gentlemen,

what are you getting for groups @ 600?

what are you getting for groups @ 600?
To be honest, I have no idea. I need to apply a fresh coat of paint on that target or get my own target and take it down there. It is a public range and that ram looks like it hasn't been painted in a while.

I've never actually measured a group from the rifle.. I guess that'd be a good area to start.. LOL
Usually a gunsmith will ask you how it's grouping and what you are expecting before actually doing any work to a rifle.
I would definitely get started reloading but I would recommend starting with a smaller cartridge if available and work your way up to 30 Nosler.

Great comments above.

I'd verify bedding and floating of the barrel and all is installed correctly. If not already done get the trigger to 2.5 or less.

Clean then season the barrel and shoot for groups. Preferably at a paper target with a small aiming dot on a calm morning.

Shoot a few times on different days as one group does not establish a base line.

From there you can choose to send to a smith or start reloading. If you're at 1 moa give or take reloading will make a difference but precision reloading isn't cheap and takes a minute to get good at. You can fast track that if you have a friend in the game.

IMO, gunsmith tuning a factory rifle won't do as much as reloading in most cases. As stated above the barrel is where it's at.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
I'll have to shoot it at 100yds and let ya know!
Yep.

As I asked above (and this isn't a criticism)- what is your experience shooting lightweight magnums?
Shooting an 8 lb. heavy magnum accurately is not something that everyone can do. Even with the brake, that rifle punches hard- and many shooters develop an unconscious flinch; jerking or pulling the trigger to one side without realizing it. For those inexperienced with this, having someone else drive the rifle can rule shooter error in or out...

Check to make sure your action screws are torqued to spec, that you can slide a business card between the barrel and the stock full length, scope mount and rings also torqued to specs. Anything loose, will trash your accuracy. If everything is tight, and it still won't shoot swap out the optic with a known "good" one (assuming that's a new scope). Not common, but even some upper mid-tier scopes can be duds from the factory. Needless to say, a $100 Barska will have it's reticle banging around in the tube in short order.