great site/ intro

predator61

The name is Al, I'm from Youngstown, OH. I just bought a Ruger American .223 bolt action for shooting at the range. I don't hunt. I got tired of shooting pistols at the range and thought I would try something new. I suck at it but i'm learning how to adjust the scope, hold the gun and pull the trigger without moving. Long time shooters may not remember all the things involved in hitting the target. I like it and when I get better i'd like to buy a .308 or 30.6 for longer distances. I bought the Bushnell scope the gun shop recomended but have been reading more and more and hope when it's time for another gun i'll have enough knowledge to pick my own scope.
Ither than simple questions I think i'm just going to be a reader on this great site.

Welcome to LRH! You've got to start somewhere with rifles, and a soft recoiling round like the 223 is a good one to start with. Getting your marksmanship basics down before going to a fire breather is a good idea.

Thanks, I have a couple of competion long range shooters advising me and hopefully will spend a little one on one time. They work and i'm retired so we have different schedules. They're young bucks going for distance I can't even see.....My goal is to get good at my club with a 200 yd range.....thanks for the comments though.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.