GPS Dependability....

A GPS and map go hand in hand

+1 to that Randy

When you are comparing your GPS'd position to a paper map and noting surrounding landmarks, you will have a better idea of where you are at and know how to 'get back' if your GPS fails.

Over many years of using Garmin GPSr's in the field I have never had one fail.

I have had my Garmen Mapsource GPS 76S do some strange things, such as go crazy and send my position off 25 to 30 miles all of a sudden, then go back and work normal.
Of course this little daddo causes my trip computer to be completely wrong. Like my speed of 75MPH when I was walking. My distance over ground would also be wrong, it would refelect the 25 t0 30 mile jog that the unit decided to all of a sudden take. It would do this with a clear unobstructed view of the sky. Dont have to worry about it too much anymore as I lost the unit last week, time to go out and buy a new one. Which one should I buy?

I would recommend the GPSMAP 62s

This unit is going to have Garmin's new software and a high sensitivity receiver to prevent those blips in positioning you described above

Or if you can find a deal, get the GPSMAP 60CSx or Oregon series GPS

I always recommend getting the cheapest Garmin you can find that has a color screen and takes a SD/microSD memory card

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.