Gooday from Sunny South-Africa

James Wilson

I have been scouting around this wonderfull site for at least two years now. I am trying to be a better long distance hunter. I am a decent shot up to 500yards. 500yards and futher is still a kind of dark magic to me.

I have hunted allmost all the plains game South-Africa has to offer. My longest shot on an antilope was 449yards on a kudu bull with a 6mm 250Ai with 87 v-max. I have since come to the understanding that this combo is unethical.

My longest shot on a wart-hog was 404m with 300H&H with 180grn Nosler Acubond @ 3084fs.

I hunt more or less twice a week. One thing I had to make peace with, is the fact that for the time I spend behind a scope, I should be a much better shot.

So, the reason for me joyning this site is to cement my abilities up to: 500yards.

Due to my job description, I have met many foreighn hunters including American folks. Many of them have become close friends.

I own the following caibers: 22lr, 223(AR-15) 270(the wife's) 308 and a 300H@H. None of them are the best for ultra long distance, but untiil I masterd the 500yard range, I will not spend money on a new caliber. I firmly beleive that most of the success, lays on the hunter and not the caliber. Imho, I have to conquer my own inabilities, before I can reward myself with a known long distance caliber.

I cant think I can ad anything here, but have, and will learn many a thing here!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.