Good .308 Muzzle Brake?

ClemsonCJ14

Just got a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD for Christmas and I'm wanting to get a muzzle brake for it. I'm wanting to know where I can get a good quality and effective muzzle brake for under $200? I've been looking at prices online and most fit in my price range...even the Weatherby...but I realize that some custom jobs can get a little pricey. Will the Weatherby Accubrake work on a non-Weatherby rifle? If so I may go that route because they're claiming a little over 50% recoil reduction. If not then what do you guys recommend? I like round suppressors more than the rectangular ones, but at the same time I'm more concerned with performance. But if performance is good on a round one that's about 7/8" in diameter and comes in 5/8-24 threads then that would be perfect. Thanks in advance for any info!

I've seen a couple variants of that JP brake & all seem to function well. For round there is also the Badger Ordnance Thruster & the Sure Fires work well also.

Sound Suppressor - Surefire Suppressor
Muzzle Brakes | Badger Ordnance

All I can think of for round brakes, the slab style brakes work great but might be outsid what you're looking for.
Painkiller Muzzle Brakes

Most gunsmiths have their own variants or muzzle brakes as well. Your imagination is the limit...

FYI> Try to keep away from the brakes with ports on the bottom, they blow "stuff" EVERYWHERE..... ask me how I know!

I'm confused about something though...my barrel has 5/8-24 threads, so if I order a muzzle brake with 5/8-24 threads, is there any need for installation? I keep reading about installation on all these websites but if it's just a matter of threading it on, I think I can handle it.

If I am not mistaken, the only issue with buying one without having fitted to your gun would be timing of the ports. If it is a Vias style brake, this would not be an issue. If it is a side port type, this may be an issue for you.

If I am not mistaken, the only issue with buying one without having fitted to your gun would be timing of the ports. If it is a Vias style brake, this would not be an issue. If it is a side port type, this may be an issue for you.

Well I was actually leaning towards the one in that first post. Would it have to be fitted?

Well I was actually leaning towards the one in that first post. Would it have to be fitted?

I would say yes, particularly with the top ports. It will push the muzzle away from the ports, whatever direction that may be. They are designed to push the muzzle down into the rest/bipod. If it is not tuned right, it will/can push the muzzle off line. I am definately no expert, would be nice for one of the smiths on here to jump in on the subject.

I'm confused about something though...my barrel has 5/8-24 threads, so if I order a muzzle brake with 5/8-24 threads, is there any need for installation? I keep reading about installation on all these websites but if it's just a matter of threading it on, I think I can handle it.

In most cases the hole is usually cut to fit a .224 caliber rifle. this made this way so that it can then be reamed to fit the caliber you want to use, unless you can order the break pre-reamed for your caliber. Then with a port style break you will need to have it timed so the ports are parallel to the ground.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.