Glass Bedding

Ycreek

First off, let me say that I know nothing about slugs and slug guns. I live in TN and we deer hunt with rifles. A few friends and I have leased a piece of property in IN so I've ordered a 12 Ga Browning A Bolt and its on the way. As I do with everything shooting related (ADD), I feel like I'm over analyzing every facet of the knowledge that I only have through reading. A question that I can't seem to find any information about is bedding the stock. A Bolt rifles (from what I've read) come factory bedded. But, for the sake of argument, let's say that the shotgun doesn't. Would it, then, be a good idea to do so? Seriously, I'll take any slug/accuracy advice that I can get. I've never shot a slug period. Thanks a lot for any insight.

See how it shoots first and figure out what kind of terrain you are hunting. If inside of 150 yards the Lightfield Hybrid slugs are super deadly, they are what I have used for the last 7 years in my 20 gauge.

If you will be reaching out further than that I would go with the Remington Copper solid or the Accu-tip.
Regardless see how the gun shoots with those three, if it groups 1 1/2" at 100 yard you are sufficient for any range on what a slug is effective. The Copper solid or Accu-tip can likely give you a 200-220 yard gun.

Thanks for that. I'm going to get started next week. I've got a lot of "work" to do on figuring this slug stuff out. Looking forward to every minute of it. Thanks again!

Slugs have horrible ballistic coefficients. Most people around my ares who are actually into shooting come up with a trajectory of 3" above and 6" below point of aim and use that to figure their max yardage, which comes in under 200 yards. At 200 slugs seems to get wind blown and they drop really fast. A 30-30 would shoot flatter to give you an idea.

Slugs have horrible ballistic coefficients. Most people around my ares who are actually into shooting come up with a trajectory of 3" above and 6" below point of aim and use that to figure their max yardage, which comes in under 200 yards. At 200 slugs seems to get wind blown and they drop really fast. A 30-30 would shoot flatter to give you an idea.

Hmmmm.......

I''ve never handled a slug gun that would benefit from bedding. Unless it's a bolt action gun there's probably not much bedding area to be concerned with. (For the benefit of the naysayer - Yes, there are bolt action slug guns)
My experience with the 12 gauge slug gun taught me two things.
I wouldn't expect much out of it beyond 100 yards. In fact, with a drop of about 5 inches (+/-) at 100 yards, I'd probably pass on any shot beyond that distance.
The velocity for the 12 gauge slug at 100 yards, having left the muzzle at about 22/2300 fps, can be expected to be under 1000 fps.
Just make sure you practice with the gun, using the ammo you will hunt with, to find out how well it shoots.

The gun I've ordered is a bolt action. I bedded the action on my 300WM (also a bolt gun). Honestly, I'm not sure that I'm a good enough shot for it to make a difference but I figure it can't hurt. Right? I understand the premises behind bedding. What I don't know is how a bolt action slug gun reacts to the shot. They tell me that they kick like mules. Does the barrel flex? If it's not free floated, should it be? I mean, beneath it all, this is a freaking shotgun. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

More important than attempting bedding or free floating the barrel is the ammo. You think rifles are finicky about factory loads, wait until you start playing with a slug gun. You can literally spend a pile of money on finding what will shoot out of a gun.

Not sure about Browning, but savage provides the owner with what ammo works best with their sluggers. You might want to contact Browning and ask what they recommend.

Good luck.

In terms of optimizing accuracy, unless there was a major defect or damage with the shotgun, It is highly unlikely that you would see any accuracy effect from bedding a slug gun. Choice of ammo and its consistency will have a far greater influence on accuracy. I think of my best shooting slug gun(Savage 220 with Sabots) as a 100, maybe 175 yard max capability on deer sized game under the best of conditions. iMO

Ycreek,

I purchased an A-Bolt last year to retire a very well used 11-87... I hunt both Indiana and Ohio for whitetail... I also cast and reload slugs and have shot literally over a thousand that I have made... You made a good choice in the A-Bolt...I think some of the points made about the limiting factor being the "slug" itself are absolutely correct. I would recommend that you try various slugs to see what your gun prefers...before considering bedding... I would also recommend that you have an idea of the range that you expect to be shooting at... if it is under 100 yds or you expect to go up to 150-175? Some of the premium slugs that are saboted claim some pretty big accuracy claims...
I don't want to discourage you in any way, but I made a decision a couple of years ago to replace the 11-87 especially for the Ohio hunt where shotguns were required...and then Ohio approved straight walled rifle/pistol calibers...Indiana did that about two or three years previously... I used a 44Mag rifle with great success. Well Indiana is considering to open it up to any rifle caliber this year as long as it is .243 or greater... So you may be able to hunt Indiana with your favorite deer rifle... being that you are leasing, you may be limited by the landowner... If you would like some info on loading your own slugs for shooting to 100-125yds let me know and I would be glad to share what I have learned.

TheMoose

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.