Getting my edge on track.

timmyatnop

I wanted to tell everone about me progress ,and what stage iam at with my stick,and see if i can get some abvice as to how to proceed now. Ok here goes got my edge back from MCR in november i think. I then bought 200 nosler brass. Also bought 200 sierra and burger 300 grain bullets,cci 250 mag primers and 8 lbs h 1000. Did a lot of barrel brakein trying to figure out an accurate load.i better point out ive been reloading for 10 years for a.few stock rifles and always just loaded to book and as long as they fit in the mag and shot 1moa i was happy. Now i figured if i was gona dp this long range half way decient it was time to get serious. Read evrtything i could about accurate reloading bought more reloading stuff. I posted some threads about reloading questions,talked to kevin at mcr. And he lined me out on how to accuratley measure to the lands now 150 rounds latet iam shooting a great grpip at 100 yards and pretty much the same group at 250 yards.. The other day i shot at 200 and then used the shooter program and backed up to 500 .i had the first 3 stots in my 3 inch orage circle about 3/4 inch verticle spred and 2 inches horizonal. The progam said 28 clicles up and bam it was awsome i wad supper excited ive never shot a. Group like thst st. 500 rvrt before . Now for my next step , should i buy a new chrono and use that velocity in the shooter program or should i shoot it at 800 or 1000 and see where it hits low or high and jusy raise or lower my mv in the program till it matches at 800 or a 1000 . I bought a nigjtforce nxs becausr i thought that might help me shoot more accuratly. I just put a bubble on my scope ,havent run it through any tedt toake sure it tracks correctly yet i havent did the plum bob deal at 50 or 100 to male sure its square. Any advice ad to what to do next or any steps ive missed to help me acheive my long range goals would be great thanks for any advice in advance.

Sound like your rifle is holding 1/2 moa, that is what I shoot for. Yes, check your scope for tracking and plumb. Then keep taking it out further,until you are at the range for your goal. This will give you the field drops for your program. Then work on hunting type shots that you would have. I spend alot of time shooting rocks in canyons and spots that I hunt specifically , of my bipod. I have drawings of ridges and landmark yrd. and corrected dialup. After that it is HAMMERTIMEgun)

Would it be better to buy a good chrono ,or just shoot it every 50 yards and wright down how many moa or clicks it is at at each range spot above my 200 zero. I loaded 100 more rounds yesterday and i think i can shoot it at each yardage but its.gona take a lot of amo and the wind will have to coraporate. Whay do u think chrono or shoot?.

Shooting is more fun and gravity does not lie......... chronographs can.............every 50 is probably allot more than you need. Hit your zero and every 250yrds out to max in order to verify speed and drop and then practice at random distances to confirm...........Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.