Get a load of this: I've been hunting BUMBLE BEES!

A half inch drill bit and a cordless drill work great when they are in their holes....

Wow, I'm amazed that his thread is still running so strong after all this time! Anyways, there are 2 huge negatives to the approach outlined above. One being the greatly increased risk of injury, if one has to go climbing around on ladders, in order to be able to get at the holes. The other, is that you just took all of the "fun" out of it, making it into something that now resembles (eek - just the thought of the word sends me reeling!), "work". But eventually, I AM going to have to get out the ladder and caulking gun (and maybe some paint), to fill in the holes. And if you think I'm going to give a **** as to whether or not the holes are occupied at the time, you better think again.

Oops, I forgot to mention 1 other thing, regarding the previously mentioned approach (actually 2 other things, now that I think about it): First off, with drill in hand, I would feel as if I was working WITH them, and thereby AGAINST myself! My true desire is for all drilling to STOP. The other thing is that the method is probably largely ineffective. That's because the typical carpenter hole only goes straight in for maybe 1/2" to 3/4", then it takes a hard 90 degree turn, before the final 2-3", where the offenders and their cocoons are located.

Max Heat said:
Oops, I forgot to mention 1 other thing, regarding the previously mentioned approach (actually 2 other things, now that I think about it): First off, with drill in hand, I would feel as if I was working WITH them, and thereby AGAINST myself! My true desire is for all drilling to STOP. The other thing is that the method is probably largely ineffective. That's because the typical carpenter hole only goes straight in for maybe 1/2" to 3/4", then it takes a hard 90 degree turn, before the final 2-3", where the offenders and their cocoons are located.

They get alil more carried away there I guess, ours just go straight bout an inch...no turns, and are almost exactly 1/2" diameter....side note, I shot one the other day with my 17hmr, 20g fmj puts alil bitty hole right through em, don't know if I got the hornet on the clover though.17g tnt took out half the flower...

side note, I shot one the other day with my 17hmr, 20g fmj puts alil bitty hole right through em

Ah, how do I say this? I'm having trouble with that one. I really hate to put it like this, but you leave me no other option than to call you on it. The 17 may be a tiny round, but even a 20gr FMJ traveling at over 2,000fps is going to create a "wound channel" that is larger than any bee out there. That "animal" should have been 99% vaporized. The only way it could made a hole like you described is if it was traveling MUCH slower, like 6-700fps or less. Is it possible that you were mistaken about that lil bitty hole?

I had nearly 300' of 3 rail split rail fence. Carpenter bees weren't so bad, but the Woodpeckers (Pileated, Red-Belly and Red-Headed) that came after the Larvae were **** destructive!! Holes underneath were no issue unless you went looking, but the Woodpeckers they don't have x-ray vision and mostly miss a little and then you got a big mess!!!

High Standard Sharpshooter with CCI shotshell was my weapon of choice for the bees. The woodpeckers, well they taste just like Bald Eagle. ;-)

Last edited:
3-4 grs of Bullseye, a card wad then a case full of Cream of Wheat, walnut hulls or corncobs and another wad, seal with Elmers glue in a .44 or .45 Colt case makes for good wingshooting sport too:D

Im pleased that I live in prairie dog country. My Beeman R1 17 Cal and Beeman GS 1000 22 Cal air rifles are good for out to 30 yards for shooting prairie dog pups. I dont know that I could hit a bee with my air rifles but if some were around I d give it a try. But shooting 8 and 13 Gr pellets Id be why over gunned. But its better to be over gunned than under when shooting dangerous stinging game.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.