Gear rental?

Pride of ownership comes with high quality, well maintained gear. We have a 16 foot enclosed trailer that is FULL of "Elk Camp". After hunting season it takes about a month of putzing to get everything cleaned, dried, and put away. We have to dodge storms to get a couple of sunny days to put up our tents in the yard to MAKE SURE they are dry before packing them up. I would never loan the elk camp to anyone except our sons. They have developed the ability to use all our equipment with the same sense of urgency, regarding care of equipment, that I have. Two of the three wall tents we have are over 30 years old. Still good as new. But, if you put them away wet, they will be toast by Spring.

I loan things to friends and family all the time. Part of the joy of having plenty is being able to share it with people you care about. I find that most damage comes from ignorance. They don't know how to take care of things. I'm always surprised that most people don't even know what angle to pound in a tent stake. A guy that needs to rent a tent, is likely to not know how to set it up so it won't blow away in a storm. We get some winds here in NM. Last year, we had a nice nylon tent blow away while the floor was still staked down tightly. One year, my buddy pulled the wood stove away from the tent wall where it was scorching, but didn't notice that the chimney was touching canvas on the outside. We noticed the next morning when the edge of the tent started glowing. Another time, he forgot to put the heat deflector under the wood stove and burned the floor. I hang my wall tent from the vigas in the living room to dry it. My wife isn't thrilled, but I don't have mildew. There is a big learning curve. I was lucky and started camping at around 4 years old. After hunting with me for 30 years, my hunting buddy is pretty well trained. I didn't realize how well until I hunted with a few newbies.

I loan things to friends and family all the time. Part of the joy of having plenty is being able to share it with people you care about. I find that most damage comes from ignorance. They don't know how to take care of things. I'm always surprised that most people don't even know what angle to pound in a tent stake. A guy that needs to rent a tent, is likely to not know how to set it up so it won't blow away in a storm. We get some winds here in NM. Last year, we had a nice nylon tent blow away while the floor was still staked down tightly. One year, my buddy pulled the wood stove away from the tent wall where it was scorching, but didn't notice that the chimney was touching canvas on the outside. We noticed the next morning when the edge of the tent started glowing. Another time, he forgot to put the heat deflector under the wood stove and burned the floor. I hang my wall tent from the vigas in the living room to dry it. My wife isn't thrilled, but I don't have mildew. There is a big learning curve. I was lucky and started camping at around 4 years old. After hunting with me for 30 years, my hunting buddy is pretty well trained. I didn't realize how well until I hunted with a few newbies.
One of our tight knit hunting group buddies had a friend that mentioned he was going to pay to go first time ever deer hunting on a high fence operation. Buddy asked our group if the friend could join us for deer season. Sure, bring him out, 3800 acres, we'll squeeze him in. Newbie showed up in a Honda Civic with a temp tire looking like Minnie Pearl with tags and hangars still on his NIB gear/clothes from WallyWorld........including NIB, unzeroed, unfired optics package rifle rig. Froze his *** off that first year. Kept him on a really, really short........bullet in the shirt pocket; here's a knife, careful it is sharp......leash. Thankfully, he didn't shoot one of us or himself, or cut off any appendages. Nine years later now woven into the group fabric, he has "come a long way baby." He has become obsessed with guns and gear.....saying as it IS a good thing. Typically takes two courses each month......escape and evasion, structure clearing, small team tactics, air assault, own the night operations, tracking, improvised weapons, hand-to-hand combat.......a real homegrown Rambo. Now, he brings back memories of times and places long ago, far away. We're mesmerized at his knowledge, abilities. His leash is a little longer, much stronger. When trespassers are suspected, unleash him, he's our tip of the spear. The guy has become our junk yard attack hunter. But, that first year or two he was THE entertainment....a real hoot!!!! In a way, kinda miss Minnie.

RV company rent out new $150,000 units and make money
Large deposits
They pay the renters insurance
Lawyer draw up the contract
Check credit rating
If it's a business it can be a tax deduction
If the equipment is damaged the insurance money will get you new up to date equipment
Go for it if you have time to do it

Nah, I really can't see any down side to this at all.
66E9D8AE-0E76-4780-9C8A-B277C3B53DE8.gif

Nah, I really can't see any down side to this at all.
View attachment 363087
That reminds me of a caribou hunt on the peninsula. 60 MPH sustained winds and gust just over 105 MPH. We kept our wall tent standing. Our pilot lost two complete camps that had rental gear. Not even a sleeping bag was saved. They had rental insurance on the equipment.