Ft Huachuca, Sierra Vista, AZ area shooting and hunting

rancilio

Hello,

I am moving to the Ft Huachuca area this summer. After looking at the AZGFD site to figure out what I need to do to hunt, I am a bit dumbfounded. I want to bow hunt all the big game that I can throughout the state, and gun hunt whatever is simple to do nearby. I want to shoot a lot and I want to shoot long range.

I've been trapped out east and look forward to getting back out west.

Anyone out there that wouldn't mind talking me through what dates, tags, etc. I need to meet and buy? Thanks!

Matt

You are in a great area for airing it out. Deer and Javalina bow tags are over the counter, Bear is over the counter ends on kill quota all have dates. Lion is over the counter. All big game rifle tags are draw only. You may apply on-line, Elk and Antelope are due NOW. Deer, buffalo and javalina will be due sometime in May-June.

There are some very productive units for Couse Deer, Mule Deer, Javalina, Bear and Lion close to you. Lots of glassing at distance or sit the water holes with a bow

Go to AZGF.gov and check the draw section. Enjoy Sierra Vista.

You are in a great area for airing it out. Deer and Javalina bow tags are over the counter, Bear is over the counter ends on kill quota all have dates. Lion is over the counter. All big game rifle tags are draw only. You may apply on-line, Elk and Antelope are due NOW. Deer, buffalo and javalina will be due sometime in May-June.

There are some very productive units for Couse Deer, Mule Deer, Javalina, Bear and Lion close to you. Lots of glassing at distance or sit the water holes with a bow

Go to AZGF.gov and check the draw section. Enjoy Sierra Vista.

Cool info. I'd like to hunt Coronado Natl Forest se of San Carlos some time. I think the desolation of se AZ is so beautiful. Lot of long range rifle opps too it seems. I used to work thru the area on the train and never had time to hunt it.

Hello,

I am moving to the Ft Huachuca area this summer. After looking at the AZGFD site to figure out what I need to do to hunt, I am a bit dumbfounded. I want to bow hunt all the big game that I can throughout the state, and gun hunt whatever is simple to do nearby. I want to shoot a lot and I want to shoot long range.

I've been trapped out east and look forward to getting back out west.

Anyone out there that wouldn't mind talking me through what dates, tags, etc. I need to meet and buy? Thanks!

Matt
Im going to infer from where you live that you are in the mil. I know an MI NCO there who post on another fourm shoots alot. My brother in law just finished there last month and is now at his primary duty station.

Correct, although not new to the Army like most up here. If you know the NCO, let me know. I need to meet some shooting friends out there.
Thanks.

I did a hitch there in the mid 70s and if you're a stick hunter the coues deer are like rabbits on post and the largest non-typ. mulie buck i've ever seen was about 10 miles east of base. I think you'll like it there.

Correct, although not new to the Army like most up here. If you know the NCO, let me know. I need to meet some shooting friends out there.
Thanks.
Join M4Carbine.net his name is variablebinary you can go there and PM him. I bought some stuff from him awhile back and he awnsered a bunch of questions for my brother before he selected his branch.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.