Frozen powder?

belldar

Temp up here in Ole NoDak is colder than -20 lately. Say one has a powder order coming and that order sits on the delivery truck in the cold in transit and than sits out side in the cold (-20) for a few hours. Could this have negative effects one ones powder? I am guessing you would want to warm the powder back up slowly as to not produce too much condensation? It would be worrisome seeing frost one ones powder container. Maybe it's nothing To worry about since I have had frozen loaded cartridges in the same weather go bang just fine?! Something to discuss anyway👍

Have never seen condensation form INSIDE container when going from 4degrees C to 30 degrees C.
I used to store my powder in a fridge, set to 4 degrees C. As the outside ambient temps would swing from 0-40+ degrees C. I didn't think this was good for powder storage...and still do not, however I now store my powder in a 150ltr cooler that stays at around 11-12 degrees all year round.

I don't see bringing the powder inside to the warmth being a problem.

Cheers.

Up here -40 F ambient, we don't count windchill, is pretty common. It was -48 F a week ago, only -30F this morning. It doesn't hurt powder at all. We do however always use magnum primers in all hunting loads cause going bang is quite a bit less certain colder than -30. Interestingly, speeds do not slow down near as much as one would think at -40. I have loads that shoot within 50 fps of what they do at 70 F. Very good way to check how temp stable your powder is, and how good your primer choice works. A lot of loads that show large FPS drops are the result of the primer not being hot enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.