Frankford arsenal trimmer

208STLHD

Has anybody had an experience using the frankford trimmer case prep center? I'll use it on calibers from 223 up to 300 prc

Has anybody had an experience using the frankford trimmer case prep center? I'll use it on calibers from 223 up to 300 prc
Yes. I wasn't a big fan due to how much pressure was needed to get a full and consistent trim. RCBS used to make a carbide cutter head, and it swapped right out with the cheap high speed steel one in the FA. It made it much better. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that carbide cutter head in stock in a long time.

I finally upgraded to a Giraud several years back now and I'll never part with it lol.

Yes. I wasn't a big fan due to how much pressure was needed to get a full and consistent trim. RCBS used to make a carbide cutter head, and it swapped right out with the cheap high speed steel one in the FA. It made it much better. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that carbide cutter head in stock in a long time.

I finally upgraded to a Giraud several years back now and I'll never part with it lol.
I've been loading for almost a decade and have never used a trimmer. While I haven't had any issues I'm just looking to start upgrading my equipment and thought I'd start with something I didn't have.

That's impressive you've gone this long without trimming.

The Little Crow trimmers work really well. They are caliber specific last I knew, but honestly it's a pain to swap change most trimmers to a different cartridge so having one always set is pretty nice. They use a carbide end mill for the cutter and it only needs a chamfer afterwards and you're good to go.

If you're not doing much at a time though, and you don't mind changing when switching back and forth from different cartridges, the FA will work fine. It's not a bad setup.

I'm also looking at a le wilson or just the plain rcbs. That that frankford was nice so I could chamfer and debur on it as well but doing that by hand isn't bad

That's impressive you've gone this long without trimming.

The Little Crow trimmers work really well. They are caliber specific last I knew, but honestly it's a pain to swap change most trimmers to a different cartridge so having one always set is pretty nice. They use a carbide end mill for the cutter and it only needs a chamfer afterwards and you're good to go.

If you're not doing much at a time though, and you don't mind changing when switching back and forth from different cartridges, the FA will work fine. It's not a bad setup.
Little crow makes a WTF2 trimmer with interchangeable chambers that are caliber specific. What I use. You buy one trimmer and cutter for $75 and caliber specific chambers for $25

Had it. Hated it. Returned it.

^^^ X2 LCG WFT for bulk stuff. It's a set it once, never have an issue in an AR again kind of tool. I use LE Wilson for precision stuff because I don't trim often, if I was then a Giraud is top-shelf.

I would tell you to get a Hornady case trimmer before the FA, at least the adjustments on it were easy and somewhat precise. I actually still keep mine in a box of range loading equipment just in case I ever need to trim on the bench. Big Red survived when FA didn't. I seem to recall mine coming with a bunch of pilots (all the ones I needed maybe) and the case holder is the same as the die set.

I have an old RCBS 5-station case prep center thingy for rotating non-trimming work (primer pockets, light crimp cuts, chamfer/deburr), and it's been fine. Loud and sounds like the bearings are eating each other but it keeps on turning. I think they call it a Trim Mate even though it doesn't actually trim brass.

I got one in a group purchase I made to get powder and primers last year, and I didn't think I'd like or use it, but it's not bad.

I don't load a ton of rounds, pretty much just for hunting. I load maybe 75-100 rounds at a time. I have used the Lyman E-ZEE trimmer on a cordless drill for years, and it's worked fine. But the FA Trimmer is a lot faster, especially when you use it to deburr and clean the primer pocket also.

It does take a little time to set up the adjustment between cartridge settings, so if you're doing just a few pieces of brass at a time, it would be frustrating. But once set up, it's quick and accurate.

I have two of the FA trimmers, because my first one started making a pretty obnoxious noise, so FA just sent me a brand new one without taking the old one back. That was 4 or 5 years ago, and both trimmers are still working great after many thousands of trims/chamfers/deburs/etc...

For bulk processing of brass, they are really hard to beat. They are very consistent at what they do. i.e. Trimming to a constant neck length. I think some folks that complain about variation in OAL with the FA trimmer, aren't taking into consideration that some of that variation is likely in their base to shoulder dimension from FL sizing sizing. After trimming, I can measure OAL, and it correlates directly to base to shoulder, which tells me that the neck length is spot on.

As mentioned, make sure to keep a sharp cutter on there.

I have two of the FA trimmers, because my first one started making a pretty obnoxious noise, so FA just sent me a brand new one without taking the old one back. That was 4 or 5 years ago, and both trimmers are still working great after many thousands of trims/chamfers/deburs/etc...

For bulk processing of brass, they are really hard to beat. They are very consistent at what they do. i.e. Trimming to a constant neck length. I think some folks that complain about variation in OAL with the FA trimmer, aren't taking into consideration that some of that variation is likely in their base to shoulder dimension from FL sizing sizing. After trimming, I can measure OAL, and it correlates directly to base to shoulder, which tells me that the neck length is spot on.

As mentioned, make sure to keep a sharp cutter on there.
I agree with that. I will say for me, I make shoulder bump and case headspace as a top priority and I had no variance there. What I saw was I could vary the amount cut based on how hard I was pushing on some cases bs others. And it was the cutter head that was the problem. A carbide cutter head fixed that.

Like I said, when you could buy the RCBS carbide cutter head, and if you put that on there, it works quite well other than if you change cartridges often. Then it's a bit of a pain lol, but still very useable.

I just wish FA put a carbide cutter on it from the start? It offered one to upgrade it if you wanted. I understand they're trying to keep the cost didn't on the unit.

I've got an FA and it works well but I went to a giraud and am much happier with that. Saves a ton of time. If I'd never know about Giraud or Henderson I'd still be happy with the FA

I have one as well, I like it better than the lathe type trimmers by hand. Too hard on my shoulder. They reference off the shoulder, all shoulders need to be sized the same. Chamfers, Outside neck deburrs and a primer pocket cleaner. Takes a bit of set up and getting used to it. Rotate the case a bit, it works. Does only the RCBS carbide cutter fit? Anyone have a model number for the RCBS?

I just got the FA case prep center and it's working great....but I got the version without the trimmer. It just handles the neck cham/debur and primer pockets. Haven't had a need to use the primer pocket stations yet. I got tired of the little hand tool I've used for years for cham/debur. I do my trimming with the LE Wilson and it works great with a small low speed electric screwdriver attached to run it. Very easy to get consistency with the LE Wilson trimmer, but the length it cuts to is based from the cartridge base, not off the shoulder. That consistency is total length. So for consistent neck lengths shoulder has to be bumped consistently.

With my trimmer choice, I don't do massive quantities. I'm more concerned with consistency to feed my hunting and long range bolt action rifles than throughput. The hand tool for chamfering and deburring the necks after trimming was a real bottleneck at my bench and it gets uncomfortable if you're doing a big batch (100 rounds for me) so I feel like this FA tool is fitting in really nice to my process.

I have one,it works great.I trim,deburr,chamfer and clean primer pockets at a rate of 4-5 cases a minute.That's not too bad for one machine that does all those operations.As for the trimming,as long as the brass is soft,the cutter works good.You can tell when the brass is getting harder after 3-4 times it's been resized and fired.You will hear the higher pitch sound as well as feel more resistance and chatter when trimming.It's kinda a good thing because it lets you know you need to anneal your brass if you aren't already on a per times fired routine.If mine ever quits,I'd buy another.During these hot summer months I really don't shoot too much.I find that time is better spent prepping the brass.That way all I have to do is load when I get ready to start shooting when it gets cooler.