Foxpro Wildfire review

Just got my new Foxpro Wildfire in the mail today and trying to figure out how to use it. Had to walk away from it a couple times. This reminds me of when I bought a computer a dozen years ago and taught myself how to use it.

I'm not a "gadget guy". I don't have a photographic memory so I look for the most user friendly electronic devices when I need them. In my opinion, this thing is not user friendly at all.

Before I decided to buy an electronic caller I checked this and another hunting forum and found members claiming they liked this one because it was "user friendly". I guess I never learn. People like what they're used to.

I would define a user friendly electronic device as having certain traits, like having commonly used controls, like other devices of it's type. Since this is my first electronic caller I can't comment on that. Other important traits would be that it's logical, meaning that the controls mean what they say and do what they say, thus negating the need of memorizing multiple procedures to follow to get the thing to do what you want it to do.

The display screen on the remote requires reading glasses. They could have made the letters larger at the expense of less songs per page. Imagine your dissapointment at climbing your tree stand and finding you can't read the display because you forgot reading glasses, especially at low light of dawn.
On the Wildfire there is an on/off switch for power (but not labeled power) and an on/off switch for speaker labeled as such but on and off are not labeled. I guess I can fix that by marking it with a Sharpie (just under where I marked "don't forget to bring reading glasses").
There is a mute button on the remote, but when you push it there is no response on the screen to indicate which mode it's in.

If you're playing one of the songs and want to turn it off, pushing the power button will kill the remote and the Wildfire will keep singing. I guess you have to remember to push "mute" instead.

There are two buttons marked "sound (upsidedown pyramid)" and "sound (pyramid)" I found myself pushing them to increase and decrease volume but they didn't work. The scroll functions should have been marked "scroll" instead of 'sound", In my opinion.

There is an indication of "FB off", which would be interesting if I knew what FB was.

That's all I found so far. I can see that I'll have to study and tinker with this thing every time I plan to use it, because there is no way I'll remember how to operate it unless I'm using it daily.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.