Found a neat piece of brass

Dan B

Was at the range before deer season touching up the zero's and drop charts for some long range guns and found a neat piece of brass. There must have been another long range shooter there...or just some nut launching big, fast bullets at close range deer.

The parent case is the .340 Weatherby. But the shoulder has been blown out to a typical Ackley profile. The shooter also had a number stamped on the belt. This case happens to be stamped #"136". It was discarded/forgotten due to a seperation line at the web. I stuffed a 180gr NBT into it just for looks....and been handling it while wondering..."hmm...now THAT would be cool in a XP-100!!"

Anyhow...is this something as simple as a .340 Weatherby Ackley Imp or would it have an exotic name like the "Kahn" cartridges??

Dan B,
Seeing you are from PA I bet you are holding a version of the 308 Baer cartridge used up at the PA 1000yd BR club. Probably one of the competitors or a buddy of a competitor owns a sporter rifle chambered in this case and he is using some old retired competiton brass. The number stamping in the belt tells me it was probably used in competition at one point. Or someone is real meticulous with there load data for a sporter rifle.
It could be any one of the many spin off variations of it also that come under any of 15-20 different names. Using the 340 Weatherby as parent brass is rea lcommon for 308 Baer competition guns.

Steve

Is it 338 cal or 30 cal? I would guess it is a 338 Jarrett if 30 cal or 300 jarrett if 30 cal.

basically identical to what you have discribed.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
I thought the parent case for the Jarrett cartridges was the 8mm Rem mag (it's been a while since I have read up on them). Can they be made from the Wby case as well?

Dan,
I think it is neat to find unusual casings. I shoot a 30-06AI and a couple of years ago I found an AI case as I was standing at the rim of a mesa about a mile off the nearest road in western Colorado. I have it up on a shelf as a memento of the trip.

Sorry about that Dan. I "assumed" it was necked down to 30 based on your statement of "inserting a 180gr NBT bullet"

Bruce also has a 338 Baer version also. But like Kirby said, based on your description, it can be about anything. If memory serves me correctly Bruce uses a 35 degree shoulder on his cases. That might help narrow it down if you are really curious.

The number stamped into the belt still tells me someone associated with BR competition is involved and probably based on one of the cases from that club.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.