Forgive me..

ishootkittens

Please forgive me for the stupid question but...

If I were to get a factory rifle that was "glass-bedded" and down the road I wanted to get the stock "camo dipped" with some sort of hydragraphic water transfer camo film. Of course I would have to remove the barreled action from the stock. Will I have to "re-bed" the action. I have asked this question around other forums but it seems like everyone either "doesnt know" or they wont give me a straight answer. I really like the look of camo stocks and I like the mossy oak finishes that most water transfering buisness offer... but I would just want the stock done... Would I have to "re-bed"?????

thank you so much!

Please forgive me for the stupid question but...

If I were to get a factory rifle that was "glass-bedded" and down the road I wanted to get the stock "camo dipped" with some sort of hydragraphic water transfer camo film. Of course I would have to remove the barreled action from the stock. Will I have to "re-bed" the action. I have asked this question around other forums but it seems like everyone either "doesnt know" or they wont give me a straight answer. I really like the look of camo stocks and I like the mossy oak finishes that most water transfering buisness offer... but I would just want the stock done... Would I have to "re-bed"?????

thank you so much!
It would all depend on how thick the new paint is.

Personally I think your better option is to have the stock Cerakoted, Duracoated, or simply get out the rattle can and paint it yourself so as to avoid any worries over too much of a build up.

Most likely though the only "problem" would be that it tightens up what you already have. If it gets a little too tight then you should be able to easily identify the points of closest contact and get out a little sand paper.

The nicest thing about Cerakote is that you can simply spray on any camo patter you want later with spray paint, and then easily wash it off with carburetor cleaner to change it for a different environment without doing any harm to the Cerakote underneath.

wow.. fastest responses ever. You see im not to familiar with the bedding process or the reason why bedding is so important. So I was wondering if I would have to re-bed because I wouldnt know how and it made me nervous! lol

wow.. fastest responses ever. You see im not to familiar with the bedding process or the reason why bedding is so important. So I was wondering if I would have to re-bed because I wouldnt know how and it made me nervous! lol
A properly bedded action is essentially melded to the stock with even pressure at every point of contact so that after each shot the stock and action remain in exactly the same position.

Sometimes after putting several coats of paint on a stock after bedding I've had them just tighten up a bit but since the layers are even it's not creating any points of contact where more pressure is exerted than others, thus not essentially affecting the bedding job or performance in any way.

After watching the video of their process I'm sure they can simply mask off the barrel channel and cutout area for the action if you desire, but it doesn't look like the process is adding enough thickness of their product to cause any issues.

the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask....

remember, we all started where you are too. read, learn and ask....
Yep something I make sure to point out to every one of my customers.

We men particularly run into a problem with our testosterone all too often leaving us incapable of learning or being able to admit there are things we don't know.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.