For the riffle and tags

Rich Coyle

On another thread someone posted "Hunting, after all, is about the hunt; not about the kill." This seems like a silly statement on a hunting forum. If the statement is true, then we hunters would carry only a camera. Anyone have an opinion on this subject?

Sorry had to run when I started the first post.

I think it depends on where a hunter is in his hunting life. A new hunter doesn't have a history, so the kill shot is all its about. The sustenance hunter is about putting meat in the freezer. The trophy guy is looking for the one bigger than the one on the wall. Then there is the guy that is trying to pass on the outdoor experience to new hunters.

Anyone can be in more than one phase of hunting. I hunt for meat first and foremost, I tend to hunt management and cull deer to improve the herd. I can go out on a hunt and see and pass on game and enjoy the experience. I can take a novice hunter out and get a thrill for putting them on there first animal. I will shoot the old buck that gets to the right age, if it's the right time to do so.

So yes, I think at times, the experience of the hunt is enough without punching a tag. At other times, the thrill of tagging your next trophy makes you feel on top of the world. For now, my thrill is passing on game management and knowledge to the next generation. To see a new hunter pass on a 2.5 yr old 8 pt because it was the right thing to do. To me, that is a great hunt.

On another thread someone posted "Hunting, after all, is about the hunt; not about the kill." This seems like a silly statement on a hunting forum. If the statement is true, then we hunters would carry only a camera. Anyone have an opinion on this subject?

I have to agree with this statement. Hunting is about way more than the kill for me. Don't get me wrong, I still want to pull the trigger. I figure that there may come a day that I don't really care if I do. But I can't imagine that there will ever be a day that I don't want to go hunting. Many times I find myself hunting harder to help get someone else their animal than I do for my own. This year I drew a trophy elk tag so I am sure I will hunt myself into the dirt.:D

If it was just about the kill I would shoot them in the front yard.

Steve

The kill is a small part for me. The hunt is very enjoyable and the tasty meals are the best part

"Its not the kill, its the thrill of the hunt"

I believe that we have the responsibility to manage the wildlife on the properties we manage. I think that proper management means, managing the carrying capacity of the properties, as well as, maintaining buck to doe relationships. I like to see bigger older deer. I like to shoot the largest oldest deer I can manage for, bucks and does. I cannot do that if you only shoot young deer.

If someone feels that they need to shoot the first deer with horns, that is legal for your area, I say more power to you. I had that mindset at one time myself. Where I am now in my life, I believe that if you can, you should let the deer mature to an older age.

To me hunting is about the hunt. I have had several memorable hunts where I've never fired a shot. Like another great saying; "It ain't the fish, it's the fishin". When I was younger it was about the kill.........now, not so much. Don't like gettin skunked but sometimes it's just as much fun to step back and let someone else step up to the plate.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.