FMJ Bullets for Pdogs? Thoughts?

Another concern with FMJ and ricochets is fire starts (really any type of bullet ricochet). Maybe not everywhere people hunt prairie dogs can this happen, but certainly it could (these fires happen even when not shooting steel targets). I never understood how people couldn't put out a ricochet ignition before it got big, but I have seen several now and certainly don't need add to these kinds of chances.....

If you want to read the whole study it is here:

https://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs/rmrs_rp104.pdf

Go to page 18 to see some of the FMJ photos versus others.

Even prairie rats are considered "game" and most states, it's illegal to hunt with a non-expanding bullet. Just one more thing to consider. I've used FMJ ammo (.223 & .308) on big AZ jacks before and they are usually large enough for the bullets to yaw and do the damage they're supposed to. On smaller critters like gophers & p'rats, not so much. Probably the largest concern would be ricochet's and if there is livestock anywhere around then don't use them. In fact, I would say don't use them at all if there's a way to avoid it, too many downsides!
Cheers,
crkckr

FMJ for varmints = a risk not worth taking for the little bit of money you can save using them, and cost would be the only advantage I can think of to using an FMJ. The more frangible the bullet the better I like it. SPSX, Blitzking, V-Max. Lots of bulk bullets like the Nosler Varmegedan, Dogtown are as cheap as FMJs. There are lots of places I won't use a 22 RF because they are one of the worst rounds for ricochets and you cannot control the direction it will bounce. I would never consider an FMJ in open country for Pdogs. If one puts unintended holes in livestock or equipment you end up with one more place that closes to hunting.
most guides for pdogs wont let you use fmj ammo because of the riccochet

That's about as stupid as the idiots that use match grade based bullets for hunting big game. Think about the poor animals people....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.