Flintlock shooting movie & stills

FrontierGander

A really nice day, snow on the ground, no wind, nice heat from the sun, yet cool from the snow, just a really perfect day to shoot.

I loaded up the Traditions Mountain Rifle .50cal flinter and headed over to my 50 yard range to experiment a little.

I used my standard load of 70gr Olde Eynsford 2fg, .015" patches lubed with Buckskinner's lube, .490" round ball and French Amber flints. For Pan Powder, I used 2fg Olde Eynsford to see how well it did.

After experimenting with the 2fg pan charge, I found it likes 2 dribbles of powder from the pan charger horn. I am having trouble with powder sticking inside the horn and giving me issues with it dispensing a consistent amount from one press to the other, so I am going to find my other brass charger and see if that does better. The horn seems to stop up the powder unless I shake it around.

Hundreds of strikes on the MR's frizzen and just a little marking where the flint first comes into contact. This actually isn't even dug in other on the right hand corner when A flint broke and the edge really got it. Still not deep though. This lock sparks like the 4th of July.

Sadly I lost this flint while shooting! I think my leather was to short and wasn't holding it as well as it should. I went in and cut a new one and replaced the flint. Hopefully I can find it once the snow melts off a bit.

Next I switched back to 4fg Goex and will stick with it, its just a lot easier to deal with and I feel more comfortable.

Normal pan charge amount for both of my Traditions flintlocks.

I also tried using just 1 push on my powder pan charger and this amount wasn't enough to fire consistently. It lagged quite a bit VS the charge above. Use what your rifle tells you to use!

lock_s10.jpg

flash_10.jpg

You can watch the video here and see how fast a properly "Tuned" flintlock is. Not really tuned, just finding the right amount of flash powder, proper size and make of flint really.

Thanks for posting!

I shoot traditional caplocks and Flinters. For most of the folks, they don't know what a joy it is to shoot traditional. I do find though Flinters are a bit more finicky to master over caplocks, which makes it a bit more fun to shoot.

I've had a good season thus far by taking a couple of deer;one with the bow and another with the rifle (modern). The remainder of our season will be hunted with the 'smoke pole' hoping to round it out with a traditional harvest.

Good luck and happy shooting!
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.