Flint up...or down??

Brimm

So....the age old question, bevel edge up or down, and why do you think your way is right?

I can't believe someone hasn't responded to this question yet. The simple answer is - either way, but a lot depends on the geometry of the cock/frizzen and the design of the flint itself. I use the dark grey flint knapped by Tom Fuller. I start with the beveled edge up and test for spark. When the flint is worn, I will turn it upside down and get a few more strikes out of it. When the flint no longer sparks consistently - change it out.

An old trick to use when you are out in the field and find the the flint edge is too worn to spark: Leave it in the jaws and pull it back to full cock. While holding the lock back with your hand, strike the sharp (but worn) edge of the flint with something heavy and metal - like a screwdriver, back edge of knife, etc. This will give the edge a "snaggle tooth" appearance, but will usually be good for another couple of sparks.

I was thinking I made a mistake by posting this...lol.....I forget, flintlock(short range), 300 wizzbanger(long range)......not many folks into flinters here!! LOL

did a lot of long range in the Corps.....after I got out I continued, have loved the challenge of 80 yards better now for hunting....have a place in Idaho, so I need to get back into the long range thing again...wolves make a nice target in canyon country!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.