First time hunting for sheep

prarierat

I got my first two mule deer this past hunting season. I do want to go for my sheep tag with my awesome "hunter husband". I have to brag about him. He is very focused, fills our freezer every year. We both want to try for sheep and bear.:Dgun)

1st off welcome!

2nd, sheep require lots of time, money and patience. Time for scouting, time for long seasons, money for applications, tags, airplanes and guides. Patience for drawing a permit and patience for holding out for that special trophy.

3rd if you want instant gratification Montana has a hunt with an over the counter sheep permit. Alaska also has OTC tags but you must hire a guide or have 2nd degree kin asist you. You can hunt bighorn and stone in Canada OTC but also must have a guide and you can hunt desert bighorns in Old Mexico OTC. Of all the species, stone sheep is the most expensive because you can only find them in Canada and being subject to a guide you are at their mercy and they are merciless. It costs 50+ grand in mexico for a desert sheep which is more expensive than a stone hunt but you can draw a tag and spend fractions of the mexican hunt but at least you have options. There is only one option for stone.

Other than that if you cant afford a guided hunt in Mexico, Canada or Alaska you will be applying for a lottery drawing for a while. States to concider for applications are most of the western states. WA, ID, MT, OR, CA, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY. Not in that order.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts