First Republic Bank down 44%

But if you're a gambler……..buy the dip.
EFC0D450-95AC-4C8F-90A9-1A67F2CAA0F0.jpeg

I doubt the children here would be able to take a "hard reset". So if any of you have kids or grandkids you may want to rethink this idea.
The world is full of cruelness and uncertainty.

Ben Franklin once said, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

It's been a long time coming

A "hard reset" is vague to me. But my thinking is it would include us losing the dollar as the world's reserve currency. So any dollars saved or earned would be worth pennies in the future. Instead of working to go to Disneyland we could be working just for our next meal.

A somewhat simplified explanation is that First Republic's (a small bank) depositors started to withdrew their money they had on deposit and the bank did not have enough cash to give them. The bank then needed to borrow money at a high interest rate, killing their profits. Stockholders get worried and start selling their shares in the company which in turn creates the headline which cause depositors to withdraw even more of their deposits.
Itn this case, he world is not coming to an end but that (small) bank may be coming to an end. In theory, bigger banks tend to be more conservative and have enough cash to cover similar withdrawls.
Canadian banks, for example, are forced to have larger reserves (dictated by their government) and depositors feel more secure and don't cause a 'run on the bank'.
The moral of this story is don't put your money where you are 'guaranteed' a high rate of return.....if it is too good to be true...well you know the rest.