First Red deer.

ejg

Since years I've been shooting Sika deer in Ireland and never bothered with red deer. Mainly because we have so little in the areas I shoot and we just leave them alone, hoping they'll multiply. Last Sunday we planned on shooting some hills on the west coast of Ireland where red deer are more plentifull.
We set off at first light and the typical rain shower greeted us after a few hundred yards....it's rained every Sunday since beginning of September. After the rain shower the wind dropped and the sun came out. We had planned to cross the valley below us and meet our friends over the next hill but glassed a red stag and hind above us up the hill. Terrain was very wet and slippery after weeks of rain so stalking into the deer took a while. We must have overseen another stag lying in the grass as this different stag took off and took the Hind with him across the hill. The initial stag who had only one horn was trotting to the right of us moving slowly up the hill. Red stags are protected in our area and can't be shot but he might lead us to some female deer. Sure enough he passed three hornless deer and stopped to watch the valley. The laser said 420m. The direction that the deer were at was open terrain meaning we couldn't get any closer without upsetting them. For weight reasons I didn't have a bipod along but had taken my 308 that is always reliable. I dialled in a little over 10MOA and 2 MOA for windage and settled on my Rucksack as a rest. Normally we don't shoot big game at longer ranges but this was going to be the closest we'll get to these. Anyway I chose one of the Hinds and she dropped on the spot with a nice neck shot. Getting her back to the car was a different story as we kept her in one piece.

DSCN6256.jpg

DSCN6263.jpg

shot taken from the red x
redhind420m.jpg

edi

nice shot. Looks like great terrain for long range shooting too. Hope you enjoy the meat, I have never shot one but a friend of mine had some of this meat and said it was great.

Our terrain varies a lot, some areas have good cover and one has very close shots. This season which started in September I've shot Sika from 20m to 336m. Meat wise I think Sika is hard to beat but I might be surprised. The red hind is hanging in the chiller at the moment. Might leave her in for 10 days.
Got this fat sika hind a week ago, was heaviest female sika I ever got. 100m offhand.
edi
DSCN6252.jpg

How did you find walking the wet scottish terrain compared to your dry
place? (Judging by your pictures on the other thread.) We have had enough rain for a long while. Certainly risk drowning if going prone.:)
edi

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.