First attempt at a food plot.

You've got the right idea. Soil tests and then lime to specs. You'll be amazed at what you'll grow with the correct PH. Way more bang for your buck on seed, fertilizer costs and effort. Can't go wrong with a grains & clover mix.

Clover will add to the nitrogen content and some of it will come up for 5 years in a row.
Excellent advice. Some plants add nitrogen and some deplete it. You really can't go wrong with a clover mix since deer love it and it's helping out the soil. After trial and error you will find out what works best in your area. Good luck and keep us posted.

Excellent advice. Some plants add nitrogen and some deplete it. You really can't go wrong with a clover mix since deer love it and it's helping out the soil. After trial and error you will find out what works best in your area. Good luck and keep us posted.
Only problem with clover is I could never get my deer to eat it. Alwys heard how great it was. We always had much better results with ryegrass wheat and turnips. Pared it down to just ryegrass and turnips. Cheap, easy to grow and effective.

Yep that's the trial and error part. I did the ryegrass one year and they mowed it down and planted it the following year and they didn't touch it! Probably has something to do with what else is available in the area.

I brought some clear-cut from my neighbor and have been clearing by hand because I can't get large equipment back in the area. That and I don't have access to large equipment. I am hoping to get a small tractor at some point. Last fall I planted rye in hopes of bringing in deer in the late season. I had no way to turn the soil over so I just defoliated and threw down seed. This was after season but I am happy with the initial results. The year on the camera is off by a year, This is from a month ago. This year I am hoping to expand, get the soil turned as well as put down lime and fertilizer based on soil tests I had done.
View attachment 354028
https://www.msudeer.msstate.edu/ is an excellent resource

Spray it heavily, leave it for a month and when you come back you could work it with a rake.

Don't destroy your equipment [atv] getting stuff worked up especially the first time. Rent a skid steer with attachments.

I think you keep doing what you are doing especially if it is fairly shaded. Spray the plot and toss rye GRAIN down 200# an acre. It's not worth all the additional time and effort tilling the ground when you don't have to. Rye will grow in the Bed of a truck lol

I have wondered what to plant and done some research. I tried the no plow blend put out by whitetail institute in small food plots. I found that they grew really well but the deer came in and wiped them out in a single night. Seems like you need large food plots if you are going to plant radishes and some of the big leafy stuff where as grasses and clover are better for small food plots. I am open to suggestions.

I have wondered what to plant and done some research. I tried the no plow blend put out by whitetail institute in small food plots. I found that they grew really well but the deer came in and wiped them out in a single night. Seems like you need large food plots if you are going to plant radishes and some of the big leafy stuff where as grasses and clover are better for small food plots. I am open to suggestions.
I think either a clover mix or grains will be your best bet because they keep growing and can handle HEAVY browse pressure. Like you said, radishes and most brassicas once they are mowed down it's show over.

Most grains (especially rye) grow in less than ideal areas- heavily shaded areas, poor soil, drought. They're the work horse of food plots in my opinion. Deer in my area love rye and wheat and oddly enough don't really touch oats.

Might be contrary to a lot of these comments, but I work for a conservation district, and we promote a lot of no-till. I don't personally work in the agriculture end of things so maybe not as "in the know" as some. But... You seem to have decent results without putting a ton of money and labor and fuel into turning over the soil. Plus you get better soil structure, infiltration, etc.

Just something to think about. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of implements, etc I won't stand in your way 😅

Might be contrary to a lot of these comments, but I work for a conservation district, and we promote a lot of no-till. I don't personally work in the agriculture end of things so maybe not as "in the know" as some. But... You seem to have decent results without putting a ton of money and labor and fuel into turning over the soil. Plus you get better soil structure, infiltration, etc.

Just something to think about. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of implements, etc I won't stand in your way 😅
This X2. It's overall less work. I'm slowly adopting this method. There's a less expensive way to No till with minimal equipment then you can go the expensive route and get a drill.

This X2. It's overall less work. I'm slowly adopting this method. There's a less expensive way to No till with minimal equipment then you can go the expensive route and get a drill.
Good point. I was thinking broadcasting seed but drill can be a good option from what I hear. Again, not an expert by any means. But I hear our staff talk about no till vs conventional tillage and the difference in expense of equipment, increase in labor (time), fuel costs, etc. really makes no-till appealing.

Plus the benefits of soil health from no till. I think there is a lot to learn about that still.

I brought some clear-cut from my neighbor and have been clearing by hand because I can't get large equipment back in the area. That and I don't have access to large equipment. I am hoping to get a small tractor at some point. Last fall I planted rye in hopes of bringing in deer in the late season. I had no way to turn the soil over so I just defoliated and threw down seed. This was after season but I am happy with the initial results. The year on the camera is off by a year, This is from a month ago. This year I am hoping to expand, get the soil turned as well as put down lime and fertilizer based on soil tests I had done.
View attachment 354028
I just closed on 79 acres two months ago. In one corner of the property I've had a dozer build me a trail/road to it, had to put in one small 12" x 15' culvert. He also cleared 2 acres of 5 year old pines. I am raking and smoothing with a box blade w/shanks now. In about 3 weeks I will plant rye grass and turn that under late June, then plant Chufas. The deer love them as much as the turkeys! They will paw them out of the ground. You can plant grass right on top of what's left in October down here in lower Alabama. As for the plot, I have sawtooth oak seedlings and chestnut seedlings planted around the perimeter about 15' from the edge. Also have persimmon seedlings in a row down the middle. When they grow up it will provide cover instead of a wide open plot, which puts game at ease. Not sure what I'll plant around the oaks and chestnuts yet. Thinking maybe a large grain for turkeys. Any suggestions?

I would like to put out some persimmons around the food plot as well as walnut and oaks in some of the clear cut. Finding oaks and walnut are not a problem but I am having an issue finding a good source of persimmon other than starting from seed.