finally did it

hydehunter

after screwing around for to many years I finally pulled the trigger and went to Silencer Central in Sioux Falls SD and paid for a silencer, so now the wait begins and at least I don't have to wait for them to order it in as they had it in stock. Banish 30. but what I do not understand is why can I build a silencer and have a stamp in hand in less than 30 days but to buy one already built from a company it takes 7-9 months does not make sense.

Silencer Central is awesome to work with...my Varminter 4.0 (now called the Banish 30) is a fantastic suppressor. Hopefully your stamp will come back faster than mine did--51 weeks about a year and a half ago. I'm planning to buy a Banish 45 for my handguns and pistol caliber carbines. You'll love the Banish!

Good to hear, a suppressor will really change your shooting for the better. Next thing you know you will have 2-3 of them :) .

after screwing around for to many years I finally pulled the trigger and went to Silencer Central in Sioux Falls SD and paid for a silencer, so now the wait begins and at least I don't have to wait for them to order it in as they had it in stock. Banish 30. but what I do not understand is why can I build a silencer and have a stamp in hand in less than 30 days but to buy one already built from a company it takes 7-9 months does not make sense.

I did that. I had a pistol I bought just to put a suppressor on it and still waited 2 years to get the ball rolling. Meh, that's about my speed.

You'll be hard pressed to complain about having a .30 cal rifle suppressor as you can use it on that caliber and down (various cartridges may exceed the manufacturer's stated limits, check carefully).

The first one is the worst one. After you get that one it becomes less painful to wait. Recoil reduction (think: big brake) and noise reduction (not waking the whole county up when you shoot, especially at night) are noteworthy.

As for F4 vs F1...who knows? Maybe a different queue for F4 vs F1...I imagine far more F4 applications than F1 applications. Plus, I think F1 are still available online but F4 are still all paper...if my information is accurate to the current state of affairs.

SilencerShop (IIRC) has kiosks in quite a few stores. You can do fingerprints and pics right there and the stuff is saved for other applications. That helps to take some of the "sting" out of getting more suppressors. I started with 3 (.30 cal rifle, .45 cal pistol, .22LR) but have 7 or 8 now in total. With one in hand, as I mentioned, the wait is less painful so easier to buy the stuff, not dreading the wait.

--HC

one thing for sure I was not happy when I was told the paper work would be done and sent off in 10-12 days and it took 4 emails and one phone call to Silencer Central to get the paper work done in 25 days and get my trust emailed to me but only took 2 days to process payment but now just going to wait I guess till next year

My prints and paperwork were submitted mid February on my first purchase. Got the call June 12th that both my stamps were in. 4 months isn't bad so you might not have to wait too long.

Just got mine and I done the paperwork March 7 th and picked it up Saturday. Just a little over 6 months.

Plus, I think F1 are still available online but F4 are still all paper...if my information is accurate to the current state of affairs.
They were last time I looked. I had two e-file Form 1s go through in under 30 days this year.

Take heart y'all, the last three paper Form 4s were under 5 months each, all this year. Letting the ATF work from home has apparently significantly improved their production.

On my newest can it took Silencer Shop about three weeks to do all the Form 3 work, physically get my can to my local dealer, and get the Form 4 in the mail. That included the election and a holiday in there, so I was happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.