Federal 215

Rogmay

I feel like I just scored, I talked to Federal this week about the shortage of 215 primers and he said the outlook didn't look good, I haven't seen any for months here in Montana, took a drive up north with the family today And found 2 bricks sitting on the shelf in a small town sporting goods store, said he didn't have the 215m, so I still took the 215's!

Sounds about right... The last brick of 215's that I purchased was found out of town too... I still have nearly 3 bricks on the shelf so I don't need to go road tripping at present... Were you down to your last couple of boxes??

I had just under 500 primers left and picked up a brick of the CCI 250's just in case I ran out!

I feel like I just scored, I talked to Federal this week about the shortage of 215 primers and he said the outlook didn't look good, I haven't seen any for months here in Montana, took a drive up north with the family today And found 2 bricks sitting on the shelf in a small town sporting goods store, said he didn't have the 215m, so I still took the 215's!

Same here in the Great Falls side. Below are extracts off a thread I posted on a different forum ...

Just playing with different primers ...... now that I finally decided on which powder to use on my .300 WSM and Berger 215. My goal was to reach 2800 FPS out of a 24" barrel. I exceeded it but with pressures I can do without.

Anyways, I was not going for any accuracy for this session but I decided to load with 60g RL-17, WW once fired brass, 215 Berger, COAL is 2.975", CBTO is 2.206", with different primers and the result is as follows:

1%20of%206_zps1pnobipu.jpg

(targets are 100 yards)

PRIMERS_zpstij017tm.jpg

Just sharing "as-is" for what it is worth.

I will be developing accuracy load with the 215M and 9 1/2M next and see where it goes from here.

Cheers!

Ed
I was actually surprise of the results. The CCI250 has been my go to primer for awhile now and 215M in a very close 2nd. In fact, at 61g the CCI250 is similar to the 215M and 9 1/2M results above. In the past, the 9 1/2M has always been my last choice out of my primer list (in order of preference CCI250, 215M, WLRM, and 9 1/2M) but just for kicks I purchased another brick.[}:)]

I did a similar test in .270 Win quite some time ago but with BR2, CCI200, 210, and WLR; with the exception of the WLR, they were so close to make a difference but went with BR2, since I have quite a few of them. Might just have to include different primer test now too during load development instead of sticking to a "go to" primer as I have done in the past. [:p]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.