Fed 215 or 215M Primers in 6.5 Creedmoor

As many have stated, it's best to back off a minimum of 1 grain powder with this switch. My process is to chrono the current load while observing case characteristics. Then using chrono shooting the magnum primer loads while documenting case pressure characteristics with velocities. Some guns really take to the magnum primer swap while others seem to not like it. A lot of this is attributed to fundamental frequency (Natural frequency) of the rifle. I have been able to shorten a barrel up in an effort to drive faster velocities and Accuracy. In short treat it as a test firing for new load development. Take care and hope this helps.

I use WLMR, Federal 215 (my preferred) and Federal GM215M primers in my 6.5 CM LR308. They definitely seem to burn cleaner and I always use the magnum primers for ball powders since it was recommended in my old Speer reloading book as someone else has already mentioned. I had heard they are better for keeping velocity consistent when in colder environments but I am still acquiring data to see if that is actually true. I seem to get pretty good velocities even though overpressure with the magnum primers could possibly be achieved faster with the hotter primers. I have switched between federal 210 and the magnum primers with the same powder charge to see if any issues would occur and I have not ran into any, but there really is no reason to not rework up your load to find what the best load is since you changed components. I always end up doing it anyways.

Basically magnum primers are good to go...or have been so far for me 😁

Best advice, in my opinion, is to rework the load as if it were all new to you. Any change in components should automatically trigger a new load work up. Better safe than sorry.

I use WLMR, Federal 215 (my preferred) and Federal GM215M primers in my 6.5 CM LR308. They definitely seem to burn cleaner and I always use the magnum primers for ball powders since it was recommended in my old Speer reloading book as someone else has already mentioned. I had heard they are better for keeping velocity consistent when in colder environments but I am still acquiring data to see if that is actually true. I seem to get pretty good velocities even though overpressure with the magnum primers could possibly be achieved faster with the hotter primers. I have switched between federal 210 and the magnum primers with the same powder charge to see if any issues would occur and I have not ran into any, but there really is no reason to not rework up your load to find what the best load is since you changed components. I always end up doing it anyways.

Basically magnum primers are good to go...or have been so far for me 😁
Is your LR308 an AR10?

When I was at the range the other day I heard some folks talking about using FED 215 primers in their 6.5 Creedmoor. Is this safe? It sounded too good to be true for me. I only have about 800 FED210s left but I have about 8 thousand FED 215Ms from the same lot and two thousand FED215s.

If this indeed works is it a safe in an AR10?

Thank you
Federal 205 is the best. if you can even find them.

I'm pretty sure O.P has large rifle primer pocket brass.
I do have the Peterson Large rifle primer pocket brass. But I also have a significant quantity of Fed 205Ms as well. However I have never tried the small rifle pocket brass in an AR10.

Federal 205 is the best. if you can even find them.
I have several thousand of those. I use them in my AR15 with LC brass, Ramshot TAC, and 77gr TMKs. Im not sure if the small rifle primer pocket brass will work ok in an AR10.

I do have the Peterson Large rifle primer pocket brass. But I also have a significant quantity of Fed 205Ms as well. However I have never tried the small rifle pocket brass in an AR10.
So you have LR and SR brass?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.