Factory Testing

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by shooters, Dec 29, 2009.

1. shooters

shooters Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Not sure where to post it. Just a few ???? here. I just purchased another 300 RUM and its the 700 SF ll. Part of my barrell break in is to start by cleaning it when I first get it home and before I shoot it because I know they test firearms before they leave factory. Heres my question. How many times do they shoot each rifle? I ran a Nylon brush down the barrel soaked in Tetra Gun and let it sit for 10 min each time and then ran a dry patch. I did this 18 TIMES before there was no (blue) copper fouling. I realize they test at the highest PSI and these cannons like to leave behind fouling, but it seemed a little excesive to me. Do they use blue bullets??? Lol. Thanks for any advice.

J. Sibble

2. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

J, I don't have an answer to your question but I just received my Sendero II 300 Ultra and did my typical cleaning before shooting. I was surprised how little fouling there was. It was by far the quickest cleaning new gun I have ever bought. Not sure what the difference is.

3. shooters

What fouling cleaner do you use? Haven't really tried many others besides Tetra Gun, but it seems to pull the fouling out of places I didn't even know existed. LOL But serious, there was a lot.

4. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

I used Hoppes #9 a few times. Then left it soaking in the bore overnight with the muzzle down. I got some copper out but very very little. I was surprised how little came out and this is my typical cleaning method. Simple, but I've tried it all. The next day I tried TM Solutions and finally gave one of the Wipeout products a try. I never got anymore copper out.

5. shooters

If you haven't tried Tetra, give it a shot. Never know. Lol

6. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

Thanks but I'm good.

7. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

Hey J, I should add, I wouldn't sweat the extensive copper fouling too much. The last one I broke in was a 700 5R Milspec in 308 and that one did take some time and work to remove the copper from prior to shooting. After a good break in period, it's been the best shooting gun I have owned. Shoots 178 SMK's in the .1's.

PM me or post some of your results as you go through your break in and when you do work up loads. I hope to start with mine tomorrow or this weekend, depending on the weather. Good luck.