testing factory ammo questions

Got impatient and decided to do a little ammo testing at 50 yards. Shot 3 fouling roounds and then 5 rounds for group with Hornady Amax 168gr, Nosler Match Grade 168gr and HSM BTHP (VLD) 168gr.

Shot in Circle Pines MN, recorded elevation 909 feet and the range was 65 degrees.

I did a quick cleaning 6 swipes with my bore snake between brands of ammo and let the bbl cool. Could have let the bbl cool a little more between groups, a lesson for next time.

First group with the Hornady was so bad I threw out the target.

Shot the Nosler next, (shot 2.8 inches high, .66 right) and a .9 MOA group (.49 in center to center).

Shot the HSM next and the group was like 6 MOA, very disappointed with it, but will try it this spring at 100yds just in case.

Did one final group with the Hornady because I've shot the same ammo better in the past. (shot 2.2 inches high, 1.6 inches right) a 1.37 MOA group (.72 inches center to center)

All in all an interesting experiment and a fun time. Still need to work on my form as the bi-pod would bounce to the side when I shot.

as usual, any advice on what to do better would be welcome

time to go clean the rifle, it's been soaking with foaming bore scrubber

Just my opinion but you could be cleaning it too much. My .308's get cleaned about every 50 rounds or even more sometimes.

You seem iffy about your shooting ability, that's coming from your previous comment. I guess shooting at 50 yards might help eliminate some human error. Like I tell my guys,"That's a technique, just not the preferred one." But if it works for you then go for it.

Just my opinion but you could be cleaning it too much. My .308's get cleaned about every 50 rounds or even more sometimes.

You seem iffy about your shooting ability, that's coming from your previous comment. I guess shooting at 50 yards might help eliminate some human error. Like I tell my guys,"That's a technique, just not the preferred one." But if it works for you then go for it.

Thanks for the input. I don't have a lot of experience shooting rifle (pistol is another matter) so I know I'm making mistakes but having fun learning.

Next time I might just shoot straight through and see how things turn out after your post I'm definitely thinking I'm cleaning tie gun too much.

I'm working on my form by dry firing and have figured out that the grip on my stock is a little big for me, since I have pretty small hands, so that might be contributing to the rifle moving more when I shoot.

thanks again, and any more insight is always welcome

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts