Experian Dark Web Notice

Muddyboots

So it seems like we get a letter about every 6 months that some medical group database was breached. I got another one about 2 months ago and now I get a warning from Experian my home telephone number is on the dark web which is likely tied to my personal data that was breached recently since the notice came shortly thereafter. This last one is so ridiculous that has me frothing. Their FTP protocol "forgot" to dump data after transfer? Are you kidding me? This is high school IT level and for a medical company it is outrageous. I am writing to my congressman to discuss what can be done to protect us from companies that do not enact sufficient data protection. Before anyone gets their data security shorts in a wad, I am relatively knowledgeable on basic data security and to have my personal data lost due to failure to implement the basic protection is absurd. Some of these companies still allow personal devices to log into their databases which is an absolute NO in basic data security. There just does not seem to be a level of concern by these organizations.

The only good thing is I froze our credit couple year ago after a spate of medical breaches to protect against this very concern which is the recommendation from Experian.

So just as a heads up, if you have data breaches STRONGLY consider implementing a credit freeze to prevent potential credit applications being made without you knowing about it. If you are not signed up with a credit protection plan, again STRONGLY recommend do so ASAP.

Just my Public Service Warning for LRH brethren to be aware of what you need to do to protect yourself from data breaches which seem to be coming at much faster rate.

Can you say Colonial Pipeline? Absolutely no different and probably coming from same IP/MAC address if you could find it.

Its not the fact it is on the dark web, its the complete lack of competence by medical groups to protect our personal information that just aggravates the crap out of me since it appears it is impossible to hold them directly responsible without spending ton of money suing their dumb 🐴.

Had some --------- log into Intuit/turbo tax and try to file a federal income tax return in my name with my telephone number and a bogus address in January... Thankfully the IRS wasn't accepting tax forms yet and I caught it prior to him being able to file it. I was able to hunt him down and knock on his door...denied everything but I raised hell with the local police, the State AG and the IRS. Local police say the guy is a problem child and is currently dodging eviction because of "covid". As retired military I have had free credit monitoring for years from the Feds as if it isn't the military/DFAS/VA getting breached it is some other fed that gets breached.

Hell yes, I am locked down.

I froze our credit last year. As OP said it seems once a year we get a letter of another breach. Its too bad we have to go to these extreme measures to protect our selves from the scum of the earth !

~ five years ago I was the plaintiff in a contract suit. The opposing attorney's office was broken into and oodles of files taken, mine among them.
Part of the discovery involved *everything*, all financial account numbers, all forms of ID, you name it.
I froze *everything* and it has been frozen since. Nary a problem to date.

Earlier this year, "Google" sent me an email saying that my passwords were discovered on the "deep web". After examining the headers of the email and investigating all the links therein, I determined it was genuinely from Google. Huh? I thought they used a password hash, and how would they even recognize my password? I made sure they did not have any of my passwords stored on anything, including android phone.

Privacy and security are illusions.

Recent Posts