Exbal help

robertjay53

I have the palm pilot version on the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but have no idea which palm to purchase. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Can anyone give me a recomendation ? Ive been looking on E Bay, and they have a ton of them, but which one? which model? Have been looking at a palm pilot zire 21, is this a good one?
Point me in the right direction. Thanks Bob

robertjay53:

I also went with the Palm Zire 21. I did some looking on e-bay but bought a new one for $80.00. That and the $70.00 for Exbal and that's all that's needed.

I have gone the expensive Pocket PC route before and spent several hundred dollars just for the pc but always worried about carrying it hunting and possibly losing it. Now, if I did lose the Palm at least it won't bother me as much. The Palms are typically cheaper than the Pocket PC units also. This unit, for me, is used for only one purpose and that's running Exbal.

I think you will be happy with the Zire if you choose to go that route. About the only time it might be a problem would be if you tried to use it in the dark since it's not backlit but I can live with that inconvenience.

Good luck with whatever you choose and I'm sure you'll be glad you have Exbal in the field with you.

Following advice from the guru's here on this site, I found and purchased a palm III and a palm V from e-bay. They were around $20 and work great so far. The advice I was given and now agree with is that there is no need to spend a bunch of money on an expensive palm. The exbal requires very little memory and as stated, if I smash/break a $20 palm, I won't cry about it.

Look for Compaq Ipaqs on Ebay also. They are usually selling for only about $50 more than the Zire and can do a few more things.

On my Ipaq, I can make audio recordings of range notes (like a known elevation for a given rifle range) and there is a infared communication to my home pc so I can transfer load data or new range trajectories for figuring new bc's.

It also has internet hookup capability, a photo album, and I can even turn up the volume on my stereo with it! Very nice stuff to have for just a little more dough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am looking to go to ExBal route on a Palm type unit. I have drop charts on paper, but this does sound a bunch cleaner.

Have any of you had probelms with very cold batteries after it has been your pack for a while?

Sometimes we have problems with GPS and even flashlight life can go in the tank.

I guess you could keep it in your pocket.

Thanks

I got it recently and was impressed that the .325 WSM was in the data-base - very up to date info. Great program, got me converted to using and trusting computer data.
I have it in a Dell PDA, have even used it for killing deer in the field, pretty neat experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.