Episode 2: 6.5 PRC 26" to 18" barrel velocities test by James Eagleman

Sure looks like the AB guys use the olde process that Miller designed.

Going to the AB site and looking at an example:
Screenshot (729).png

Then taking the data- looks like a .308 175 Sierra MK, bullet length 1.240, 11.25 twist, 2650 fps, 59 F, 29.92 in. Hg, producing a Sg of 1.91

The Miller process on Excel produces:

Screenshot (730).png

Sg AB = 1.91, Sg Via Excel/Miller = 1.91
Both are equal, rounded off to 2 places. Very unlikely two different methods would produce the same results, making me believe AB uses the Miller process.

The Miller process is a Sg estimator, the math is involved but not complex (like add, subtract. divide, & exponential) as seen in the Excel spread sheet.

Going back to the example shown on post #1. I could not duplicate the Sg value for the 147 6.5 ELD 2863 unless I plugged in a temperature of 99 degrees and omitted the plastic tip, entering 0 for tip length. The Sg values were identical to those shown in post #1:
Sg = 1.68 for 30 in of Hg pressure
Sg = 2.02. for 25 in of Hg pressure

I am assuming the bullet used in post #1 is the 147 gr. 6.5 Hornady ELD as I was able to exactly duplicate Sg values of 1.68 & 2.02 but with temperatures of 99 deg. F & no plastic tips (tip length 0)

Barometric pressures in Montana are usually between 29 & 30 inches of Hg. A pressure of 25 inches Hg recorded in Montana, at a place having boots on the ground would indicate real bad hunting weather where the animals would be seeking shelter & not moving. Hunting in a blizzard or super cell is tough.

The AB bullet library should contain the 147 ELD bullet that has a plastic tip. Possibly the plastic tip was omitted in determining bullet length.

Documentation regarding bullet length was provided in my previous post, #9.

I was unable to resolve the Sg values shown in post #1.

The AB Sg values are too low as the plastic tip was not subtracted from bullet length. Increased Sg values would improve bullet ballistics & efficiency.